Council Member Alex Padilla To Present Verizon Wireless Special Commendation For Domestic Violence Prevention Efforts
October 24, 2002
LOS ANGELES, CA
Who: Honorable Councilmember Alex Padilla and the Los Angeles City Commission on the Status of Women will recognize the outstanding domestic violence prevention efforts of community corporate partner Verizon Wireless.
What: City Council will present a special commendation to Verizon Wireless for their commitment, contributions and tireless efforts over the past two years in executing a comprehensive, multi-pronged awareness strategy aimed at curbing domestic violence in our communities and in the workplace.
Verizon Wireless will award the Commission on the Status of Women a generous HopeLineSM grant to further their efforts in eradicating domestic violence.
When: Friday, October 25, 2002 at 10:00 a.m.
Where: Los Angeles City Hall, 200 N. Main Street, City Council Chambers.
Why: October is recognized nationally as Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
Domestic violence remains a national epidemic, and the number one health and public safety issue impacting women and girls.
Facts About Domestic Violence
- Each year nearly four million women are physically abused by their husband or intimate partner.
- About 42% of all murdered women are killed by an intimate partner.
- It is estimated that four out of eight women seen in emergency rooms have injuries due to domestic violence.
- 50% of all homeless women have fled a domestic violence situation.
- Domestic violence cost American companies billions of dollars every year in loss of productivity and health care costs due to physical injuries.
For more information, contact Veronica Hendrix, City of Los Angeles (213) 978-0300 or Andrew Colley, Verizon Wireless (949) 286-8194
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and 30.3 million customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com.
To update your profile or remove yourself from automatic News Delivery,