As the fall semester begins at colleges and universities across the nation, eight Virginia students are getting some help to pay their college bills. They are among 675 students nationwide who received scholarships for the 2010-2011 academic year through Verizon's scholarship program for the children and dependents of company employees.
The students will each receive $5,000 annually toward their college expenses. The scholarship program selects recipients based on financial need, academic achievement and extracurricular activities. Each scholarship is renewable for three years and has a total value of $20,000.
This year's Virginia recipients are:
- Brittany Tobias, of Leesburg, daughter of employee Michael Tobias, who plans to attend Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.
- Alexandra Noble of Fredericksburg, daughter of employee Peter Noble, who plans to attend Palm Beach Atlantic University in West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Azalea James, of Richmond, daughter of employee Sheryl Brooks, who plans to attend Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond.
- Hope Ammen of Roanoke, daughter of employee David Ammen, who plans to attend Regent University in Virginia Beach.
- Sara Carr of Christiansburg, daughter of employee Mary Zvonar, who plans to attend the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg.
- Mina Oh of Centreville, daughter of employee Pil hoon Oh, who plans to attend the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.
- Emily Marino of Virginia Beach, daughter of employee Janet Marino, who plans to attend Duke University in Durham, N.C.
- Brittany McKenney of Warsaw, daughter of employee Teresa Balderson, who plans to attend the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg.
Since 2001, the scholarship program has invested more than $39 million toward the college education of children and dependents of Verizon employees, benefitting 2,253 students. For the 2010-2011 academic year, the program will provide more than $3.3 million for scholarships for the 675 Verizon scholars.
"Education is a critical issue for Verizon and our communities," said Robert Woltz Jr., president of Verizon Virginia. "Through this scholarship program, Verizon provides a tremendous benefit to our Verizon employees while also making a significant investment in the development of future leaders."
The Verizon Foundation awards the scholarships in partnership with Scholarship America, the nation's largest nonprofit, private sector scholarship and educational support organization, which was founded in 1958.
Donald Lassere, senior vice president, Scholarship America, said, "Verizon is clearly committed to helping students succeed through education. With the skyrocketing cost of tuition, coupled with our struggling economy, generous renewable scholarships have never been more needed by students. Scholarship America is proud to administer the Verizon scholarship program."
A list of the Verizon scholars for 2010 is available on the Verizon Foundation website at http://foundation.verizon.com/about/press/scholstudents10.shtml.
The Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon Communications, supports the advancement of literacy and K-12 education through its free educational website, Verizon Thinkfinity (www.thinkfinity.org), and fosters awareness and prevention of domestic violence. In 2009, the Verizon Foundation awarded $67.9 million in grants to nonprofit agencies in the U.S. and abroad. It also matched the charitable donations of Verizon employees and retirees, resulting in $26.1 million in combined contributions to nonprofits. Through Verizon Volunteers, one of the nation's largest employee volunteer programs, Verizon employees and retirees have volunteered more than 5 million hours of community service since 2000. For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizonfoundation.org.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, NASDAQ:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 92 million customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers innovative, seamless business solutions to customers around the world. A Dow 30 company, Verizon last year generated consolidated revenues of more than $107 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.