More than 2,400 nonprofit groups across New York received more than $13 million from the Verizon Foundation in 2009, enabling recipient organizations to improve literacy skills, enhance educational opportunities for children, and assist domestic violence survivors.
In addition, Verizon employees volunteered more than 108,000 hours to nonprofit groups throughout the state in 2009.
"Verizon and its employees are proud to partner with thousands of nonprofit organizations throughout New York to bring about positive change in the areas of education, domestic violence prevention and Internet safety," said Andrés Irlando, Verizon president for the New York region.
Among the grants awarded by Verizon in 2009 are:
- Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation Inc. - $25,000 to support a six-week summer day camp for underserved youth, and the Ailey Dance Kids, a program that included classes in dance and personal development.
- New York Farm Bureau Foundation - $4,500 to support its Color Your Way from A to Z, an agriculture program that focuses on teaching nursery school students and first-graders the alphabet and simple reading through an agricultural approach.
- Older Adults Technology Services - $22,500 to support Internet safety computer training to help seniors protect themselves when they participate in internet activity.
- New York State Coalition Against Domestic Violence - $40,000 to support technology safety training throughout the state for those who work with domestic violence victims and survivors to help them protect themselves when they are online and using technology.
- 100 Hispanic Women of Albany - $5,000 to assist the organization's 2009 Educational and Leadership Priorities project to strengthen community relationships.
- Bronx Family Justice Center - $35,000 to assist in the development and programs of the Children's Room at the new Bronx Family Justice Center.
- The Parent Academy - $5,000 to support literacy training program for parents of infants and toddlers and pregnant women.
The Verizon Foundation, supports the advancement of literacy and K-12 education through its free educational Web site, Thinkfinity.org, and fosters awareness and prevention of domestic violence. In 2009, the Verizon Foundation awarded more than $67.5 million in grants to nonprofit agencies in the U.S. and abroad. It also matched the charitable donations of Verizon employees and retirees, resulting in an additional $26.1 million in combined contributions to nonprofits. Through Verizon Volunteers, one of the nation's largest employee volunteer programs, Verizon employees and retirees have volunteered more than 5 million hours of community service since 2000. For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizonfoundation.org.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 91 million customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers innovative, seamless business solutions to customers around the world. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of approximately 222,900 and last year generated consolidated revenues of more than $107 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.