NEW YORK - More than 3.4 million consumers in parts of 20 states and the District of Columbia can now order Verizon's ultra-fast High Speed Internet service. Introduced in January to 400,000 qualified lines, Verizon has significantly expanded its broadband offer, which more than doubles the download speed of the company's next-fastest offer, and provides an appealing alternative to cable Internet.
Verizon's aggressive expansion of the service allows more qualified households to benefit from a downstream connection speed of up to 7 megabits per second (Mbps) for as low as $42.99 a month when ordered with an annual service plan.
"Our 7 megabits per second Internet service delivers considerable speed and a compelling option over cable Internet," said Susan Retta, vice president-broadband solutions for Verizon. "Many people are looking for faster broadband speeds for productivity and efficiency reasons, and they want to avoid the shared neighborhood model used by cable companies that can slow download speeds.
"This high-speed broadband is now available in many small communities, in addition to urban and suburban areas across the country," she said.
Consumers can get more information about service availability, pricing and features by calling 1-877-483-5898 or visiting www.verizon.com/superspeed.
About Verizon High Speed Internet
Verizon High Speed Internet service is delivered on a dedicated line from Verizon's central office to the customer's home and is backed by live, 24 x 7 customer service and technical support. High Speed Internet subscribers have access to an extensive collection of features and services, including:
- Online protection with Verizon Internet Security Suite: In one download, this comprehensive online protection suite provides anti-spyware, anti-virus, firewall, parental control, pop-up blocker and privacy manager protection that run continuously behind the scene. The suite automatically updates every three hours. Just set it and forget it. The cost is just $4.99 a month for use on up to three household computers.
- Verizon Enhanced Email: Expanded storage capacity - up to 4 gigabytes - lets customers store as much mail as they want for as long as they want on Verizon servers. Anywhere access - from your mobile phone to your home e-mail account - is easy, with select Get It Now-enabled phones from Verizon Wireless. Users can sign up for a complimentary rich Internet e-mail application to better organize their messages and contacts and send attachments of up to 25 megabytes.
- Verizon Premium Tech Support: A unique service that provides expert one-on-one assistance for a wide variety of issues like spyware, adware, viruses, hardware problems, computer operating systems and other issues not typically covered by Internet service providers. The service supports routers, network cards, video cards, sound cards, CD/DVD reader-writer, hard drives, flash memory systems, printers, scanners, gaming consoles, firewalls and more. The cost is $14.99 a month.
- Online gaming from Verizon: Play hundreds of the most popular PC games for free with Verizon Arcade, or choose from a variety of Verizon Games on Demand packages, including Family Place, a package that features more than 400 family-friendly casual games for just $7.99 a month.
- Free entertainment for children of all ages with Disney Connection: From activities, games and classic cartoons to movie previews, music videos and more, Disney Connection provides age-appropriate content for preschoolers, kids, teens and Disney enthusiasts. The content includes access to Playhouse Disney Preschool Time Online and Disney Game Kingdom Online.
- Free news from ABC News Now: A 24-hour news and information channel, ABC News Now delivers live breaking news, headlines every half hour, and more than 25 original news, lifestyle and entertainment programs such as "Politics Live," "What's the Buzz" and "Money Matters."
- Free sports from ESPN360: The service offers programming that includes hundreds of hours of live games, analysis and exclusive content on-demand with exclusive access to the Internet's best events.
- One-of-a-kind NFL experience online: Customers who subscribe to Verizon High Speed Internet and DIRECTV from Verizon enjoy the added benefit of free access to NFL Network Game Extra, a unique service that includes live, online broadcasts of Thursday and Saturday pro football games. Viewers of the online broadcasts will have access to alternate camera angles and live audio feeds and have the ability to view one of four camera angles, or all four angles simultaneously. The online service can be accessed anywhere in the world through any broadband connected computer.
NOTE: actual (throughput) speeds will vary.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 67 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations include Verizon Business, which delivers innovative and seamless business solutions to customers around the world, and Verizon Telecom, which brings customers the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services over the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employed a diverse workforce of approximately 232,000 as of the end of the first quarter 2008 and last year generated consolidated operating revenues of $93.5 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.