BOWIE, Md. - More Maryland consumers now have a true choice for their subscription television and on-demand programming as Verizon today launched FiOS TV in the Bowie area. The company will begin taking customer orders immediately.
Verizon, the only company building a large-scale, all-digital fiber-optic communications network directly to customers' homes, already offers FiOS TV in the Howard County communities of Clarksville, Columbia and Ellicott City, and expects to launch the service in parts of Anne Arundel County later in August. The company has video franchises covering approximately 3 million households in nine states, and it currently offers FiOS TV in parts of California, Florida, Massachusetts, New York, Texas and Virginia in addition to Maryland.
"This is not cable TV. This is not satellite. This is FiOS TV," said William R. Roberts, president of Verizon Maryland. "Customers who liked what FiOS did for their Internet connection will love what it does for their TV. We've harnessed the speed and capacity of broadband with the power of broadcast to create a revolutionary, new entertainment experience."
Service highlights include:
- A lead offer of more than 180 digital video and music channels for $39.95 per month. With an annual savings agreement, customers can choose either $5 off the monthly Movie Package price or waive the monthly standard set-top box fee of $3.95.
- More than 20 high-definition (HD) channels, with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound. Verizon plans to add even more HD programming in the coming months.
- Over 2,500 on-demand titles available to customers now, increasing to over 3,500 titles in the next several months.
- Channels grouped by programming genres such as entertainment, sports, news, shopping, movies and family entertainment, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.
- An easy-to-use interactive programming guide that integrates HD programming, on-demand content and the digital video recorder along with broadcast television into a seamless user experience.
- A dual-tuner, HD-capable Digital Video Recorder (DVR) that gives customers the freedom to pause and rewind live TV, record two shows simultaneously, and fast forward to their favorite part of the program - all without a VCR, tapes or DVDs.
- FiOS TV Widgets, a free interactive feature that provides local weather and traffic information.
Information on packages and prices is available at www.verizonfios.com/tv. Bowie customers also can call 1-800-880-2943 to see if they're able to order FiOS TV.
Verizon, which obtained a cable franchise in Bowie in April, also has Maryland franchises in Anne Arundel and Howard counties, and in Laurel. The company currently is negotiating a franchise agreement in Prince George's County and has applied for authorization to negotiate an agreement with Baltimore County.
FiOS is delivered over Verizon's all-fiber network, which has industry-leading quality and reliability. Fiber delivers amazingly sharp pictures and sound, and has the capacity to transmit a wide array of high-definition programming that is so clear and intense it seems to leap from the TV screen. It also delivers Internet download speeds of up to 50 Mbps (megabits per second) and upload speeds of up to 5 Mbps as well as high-quality voice services.*
Since Verizon began building its fiber-optic network in Maryland, the company has placed more than 23.6 million feet of fiber and created hundreds of new full-time positions to build and support the network and FiOS services in the state.
Programming choices for Hispanic, African-American, Asian, Russian and other multicultural audiences are available in every market. Since FiOS TV has so much capacity, it is an outlet for emerging and independent networks to showcase their diverse programming.
In addition, sports fans subscribing to FiOS TV Premier, the lead Verizon FiOS TV offer, can follow regional teams and events through agreements Verizon has reached with Comcast Sports Net - Mid- Atlantic and the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN). Featured teams on Comcast Sports Net - Mid- Atlantic include the Capitals, DC United, Mystics, Orioles, Ravens, Redskins and Wizards, as well as NCAA games. MASN features Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles games.
FiOS TV subscribers can choose from three simple-to-understand service offerings, each with built-in choice and value. They then can choose from packages and premium channels with programming that meets their special interests. Verizon offers three set-top boxes: standard definition for $3.95 per month; high definition, which includes HD channels, for $9.95 per month; and a dual-tuner, HD-capable digital video recorder for $12.95 per month.
The services include:
- FiOS TV Premier, which delivers more than 180 digital video and music channels for $39.95 as a stand-alone service or $34.95 a month with Verizon FiOS Internet Service or a qualifying voice plan. This tier includes access to on-demand content and requires a set-top box. High-definition channels are included in this tier at no extra charge, and customers must have an HD set-top box and an HD-ready TV to view them.
- La Conexión, an alternative to FiOS TV Premier service designed for bilingual consumers who enjoy both English and Spanish language programming, for $27.95 per month with Verizon FiOS Internet Service or a qualifying voice plan. La Conexión is also available as a stand-alone service for $32.95 per month. The package includes nearly 140 channels with English and Spanish-language programming and access to on-demand programming. This service requires a set-top box. High-definition channels are included in this tier at no extra charge, and customers must have an HD set-top box and an HD-ready TV to view them.
Verizon also offers FiOS TV Local, with access to local and community channels for $12.95 per month.
Consumers with a passion for movies can add the movie package with 44 channels of Starz, Encore, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Sundance and Flix, as well as 255 titles of on-demand programming, for a regular price of $11.95 a month. Sports enthusiasts can add a 15-channel sports package for $5.95 a month. Or, both packages can be purchased for $14.95 a month. In addition to the movie package, customers with a set-top box can order new, on-demand movie releases for $3.95 each or choose from a selection of movie library titles for $2.95 each.
For wrestling fans, Verizon offers World Wrestling Entertainment's WWE 24/7, a subscription on-demand service, for $7.95 a month. Karaoke fans can sing along at home with a subscription to the Karaoke package for $7.95 a month.
Verizon also offers 14 HBO channels and 12 Cinemax channels as premium services, with each set of channels available for $14.95. The price includes access to each channel's subscription on-demand library. Subscribers who want both HBO and Cinemax will pay $24.95 per month.
The value of FiOS TV extends to the installation and customer support. Specially trained Verizon technicians will install the service and acquaint subscribers with FiOS TV features and services. Verizon is waiving the installation fee for up to three existing TV outlets, and there is no charge to install a needed optical network terminal at the subscriber's home. Charges for other installation services, such as additional outlets, may apply. Verizon provides 24x7 technical assistance by phone from its specialized Fiber Solutions Centers.
* NOTE: actual (throughput) speeds will vary.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), a Dow 30 company, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving 53 million customers nationwide. Verizon Business operates one of the most expansive wholly-owned global IP networks. Verizon Telecom is deploying the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network to deliver the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services to customers. Based in New York, Verizon has a diverse workforce of more than 250,000 and generates annual consolidated operating revenues of approximately $90 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.