NEW YORK - Verizon announced today that it is offering its FiOS TV service to more New York consumers, providing a true choice for subscription television and on-demand programming via the company's all-digital, fiber-optic network. Verizon is the first company to offer such a communications network, connecting homes and businesses directly to fiber optics on a widespread scale.
Verizon is now taking orders for its fiber-optic TV service in parts of the Westchester County community of Greenburgh. In addition, in Rockland County, Verizon launched its FiOS TV service today in the Town of Clarkstown hamlets of New City, Congers, Bardonia and Rockland Lake. The company already offers FiOS TV in more than 30 New York communities where cable franchises have been approved, including the Town of Clarkstown hamlets of West Nyack, Central Nyack and Valley Cottage. Verizon also offers FiOS TV in the Rockland County villages of Nyack, South Nyack, Upper Nyack and Grandview-on-Hudson. In addition, FiOS TV is available in the Long Island communities of Massapequa Park; Laurel Hollow; Cedarhurst; Lynbrook; Mineola; East Rockaway; the Town of Hempstead communities of Baldwin, Bellmore, Elmont, Hewlett, Lakeview, Merrick, North Merrick, North Bellmore, North Valley Stream, Oceanside, Roosevelt, Seaford, Wantagh and Woodmere; and the Town of Oyster Bay communities of Massapequa, Syosset, Woodbury, Bethpage, Hicksville, Jericho, Plainview, Oyster Bay, East Norwich and Farmingdale.
Upon New York State Public Service Commission approval, the company will launch its FiOS TV service in the Long Island communities of Smithtown, Huntington, Valley Stream and Farmingdale, as well as the Westchester County village of Irvington.
"Today, more New York consumers have been given an outstanding, superior choice for their video entertainment," said Monica Azare, Verizon senior vice president for New York and Connecticut. "No longer will customers be at the mercy of a single cable-TV company. They'll have Verizon FiOS TV.
"Customers who liked what FiOS did for their Internet connection will love what it does for their TV. We've harnessed the speed and capacity of fiber-based broadband with the power of broadcast to create a revolutionary, new entertainment experience," said Azare.
All Verizon FiOS TV-eligible customers in New York have the option to trim their monthly bill by bundling FiOS TV service, FiOS Internet Service and the Verizon Freedom Value unlimited calling plan - all for under $95 a month.
Service highlights include:
- A broad collection of all-digital programming and compelling consumer choice.
- An initial service package of nearly 200 digital video and music channels for $39.95 per month, or $34.95 when combined with high-speed Internet service or a qualifying voice plan. Customers who choose just the FiOS TV package and agree to an annual plan can waive the $3.95 monthly fee for one standard-definition set-top box; or they can choose instead to receive a $5 monthly discount on the Movie Package.
- More than 20 high-definition (HD) channels, with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound.
- Approximately 3,000 on-demand titles available to customers now, increasing to over 3,500 titles in the next several months.
- Channels grouped by programming genres such as entertainment, sports, news, shopping, movies and family entertainment, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.
- An easy-to-use interactive programming guide that integrates HD programming, on-demand content and the digital video recorder along with broadcast television into a seamless user experience.
- A dual-tuner, HD-capable digital video recorder (DVR) that gives customers the freedom to pause and rewind live TV, record two shows simultaneously, and fast forward to their favorite part of the program - all without a VCR, tapes or DVDs.
- Home Media DVR, an optional service featuring a multi-room DVR that enables up to three simultaneous viewings of programs recorded by the device without requiring customers to set up a complex home network or buy extra equipment; Home Media DVR is bundled with Media Manager, which lets customers access photos and music from their personal computer and play them on their entertainment center.
- FiOS TV Widgets, a free interactive feature that provides local weather and traffic information.
Information on packages and prices is available now at www.verizon.com/fiostv. Customers also can call 1-800-880-2941 to see if they are able to order FiOS TV.
In addition to New York, FiOS TV is also available to customers in parts of six other states: California, Florida, Massachusetts, Maryland, Texas and Virginia. The company has video franchises covering approximately 3.6 million households in nine states and more than 190 franchise areas. As the fiber network is fully deployed in franchise areas, Verizon will provide consumers with the opportunity to choose FiOS TV.
Verizon's FiOS TV is designed to be a formidable competitor to cable and satellite. It is delivered over Verizon's fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network, which delivers amazingly sharp pictures and sound, and has the capacity to transmit a wide array of high-definition programming that is so clear and intense it seems to leap from the TV screen. In addition to FiOS TV, Verizon's fiber network also allows the company to offer consumers and businesses high-speed FiOS Internet Service, which is currently available in many New York communities.
Programming choices for Hispanic, African-American, Asian, Russian and other multicultural audiences are available in every market. Because FiOS TV has so much capacity, it is an outlet for emerging and independent networks to showcase their diverse programming.
Service and Package Details
FiOS TV subscribers can choose from three simple-to-understand service offerings, each with built-in choice and value. They can then choose from packages and premium channels with programming that meets their special interests. Verizon offers three set-top boxes: standard definition for $3.95 per month; high definition, which includes HD channels, for $9.95 per month; and a dual-tuner, HD-capable digital video recorder for $12.95 per month.
The services include:
- FiOS TV Premier, which delivers nearly 200 video and music channels for $39.95 a month as a stand-alone service or $34.95 a month with Verizon FiOS Internet Service or a qualifying voice plan. This tier includes access to on-demand content and requires a set-top box. High-definition channels are included in this tier at no extra charge, and customers must have an HD set-top box and an HD-ready TV to view them.
- La Conexión, an alternative to FiOS TV Premier service designed for bilingual consumers who enjoy both English and Spanish-language programming, for $27.95 per month with Verizon FiOS Internet Service or a qualifying voice plan. La Conexión is also available as a stand-alone service for $32.95 per month. The package includes nearly 140 channels with English and Spanish-language programming and access to on-demand programming. This service requires a set-top box. High-definition channels are included in this tier at no extra charge, and customers must have an HD set-top box and an HD-ready TV to view them.
- FiOS TV Local, with access to 15-35 local broadcast, weather and community channels for $12.95 per month. The service is digital with a set-top box, which also provides access to on-demand programming. FiOS TV Local is also available as an analog service that does not require a set-top box for viewing.
Consumers with a passion for movies can add the movie package with 44 channels of Starz, Encore, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Sundance and Flix, as well as 255 titles of on-demand programming, for a regular price of $11.95 a month. Sports enthusiasts can add a 15-channel sports package for $5.95 a month. Or, both packages can be purchased for $14.95 a month. In addition to the movie package, customers with a set-top box can order new, on-demand movie releases for $3.95 each or choose from a selection of movie library titles for $2.95 each.
For wrestling fans, Verizon offers World Wrestling Entertainment's WWE 24/7, a subscription on-demand service, for $7.95 a month. Karaoke fans can sing along at home with a subscription to the Karaoke package for $7.95 a month.
Verizon also offers 14 HBO channels and 12 Cinemax channels as premium services, with each set of channels available for $14.95. The price includes access to each channel's subscription on-demand library. Subscribers who want both HBO and Cinemax will pay $24.95 per month.
The value of FiOS TV extends to the installation and customer support. Specially trained Verizon technicians will install the service and acquaint subscribers with FiOS TV features and services. Verizon is waiving the installation fee for up to three existing TV outlets, and there is no charge to install a needed optical network terminal at the subscriber's home. Charges for other installation services, such as additional outlets, may apply. Verizon provides 24x7 technical assistance by phone from its specialized Fiber Solutions Centers.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), a Dow 30 company, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving nearly 57 million customers nationwide. Verizon Business operates one of the most expansive wholly-owned global IP networks. Verizon Telecom is deploying the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network to deliver the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services to customers. Based in New York, Verizon has a diverse workforce of approximately 250,000 and generates annual consolidated operating revenues of approximately $90 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.