SILVERTON, Ore. -- Verizon customers in Silverton and several other local communities will soon have the option of knowing who's calling before they pick up their phone. They'll be able to program Verizon's network to automatically reject calls from certain numbers. And returning a missed call will be as simple as entering a three-digit code.
Customers will have the technology to do all that -- and more -- starting Nov. 27 when Verizon introduces several advanced, optional services in Silverton, Aumsville, Turner, Scotts Mills, Mill City, Detroit, Gates and Idanha.
"These optional services offer residential and business customers convenience, security and control," said Pete Calo, Verizon's customer operations manager. "They improve the quality of life. We're pleased to expand availability to more areas because many customers have asked for these services, especially Caller ID."
Among the new services to be offered:
- Caller ID:This feature allows customers to see the name and number of the person calling before the phone is answered, using a display unit that is attached to or built into the phone. Caller ID can be an effective deterrent to harassing calls and provides customers with control over which calls they answer. Caller ID costs $6.50 per month for residential customers and $8 per month for business customers. Customers needing privacy will have options to prevent their number from appearing on Caller ID devices. The options are free of charge.
- Automatic Busy Redial: This service keeps trying a busy number for up to 30 minutes, eliminating the need for the caller to keep redialing the number. When the call can go through, the person trying to call is alerted with a special ring. Automatic Busy Redial costs $2 per month for residential and business customers.
- Anonymous Call Block: This feature will block incoming calls when the caller prevents his or her number from appearing on a Caller ID box. The caller hears a message saying that the called party will not accept calls from people who prevent display of their phone number. Callers will be told they need to unblock their number to complete the call. Anonymous Call Block costs 25 cents per month for residential and business customers. It is available only to Caller ID customers.
- Automatic Call Return: This feature enables callers to automatically dial the number of the last call they received, whether or not it was answered, by dialing *69. Automatic Call Return is available for $2.95 per month (residence or business).
- Call Block: This security feature blocks calls from up to 12 numbers that are chosen by the customer. The caller hears a recorded message when the call is not completed. Call Block is $3 per month for residential and business customers.
- Call Tracing: This feature allows the customer to have the last local incoming call they received traced. The customers merely dials *57. Call Tracing is useful if customers are receiving obscene or harassing calls. The traced phone number is made available only to law enforcement officials. The cost is $1 for each successful trace.
- Distinctive Ring: This feature provides a customer with two separate phone numbers on the same line. Calls to each number have a different ring, enabling the customer to know whose number is being called. For example, families can use Distinctive Ring to determine whether a call is for the parents or for the children. Distinctive Ring is $3 per month for residential and business customers.
All services may not be available to every customer. Customers can obtain more information or order any of the services by visiting www.verizon.com. As an option, residential customers may call 1-800-483-4000. Business customers may call 1-800-483-5000 or their Verizon account manager.
Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) is one of the world's leading providers of communications services. Verizon companies are the largest providers of wireline and wireless communications in the United States, with 128.5 million access line equivalents and 28.7 million wireless customers. Verizon is also the largest directory publisher in the world. A Fortune 10 company with 256,000 employees and approximately $65 billion in annual revenues, Verizon's global presence extends to more than 40 countries in the Americas, Europe, Asia and the Pacific. For more information on Verizon, visit www.verizon.com.