NEW YORK - Consumers and small businesses can now get Internet connections that leave the cable companies in the dust. Verizon is turning on the afterburners and is offering its Verizon FiOS Internet Service in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut at even faster standard speeds - with no increase in price.
For consumers, the basic level of Verizon FiOS Internet, which provides connection speeds of up to 5 Mbps (megabits per second) downstream / 2 Mbps upstream, and the next fastest service, providing speeds of up to 15/2 Mbps FiOS services, will be upgraded to connection speeds of up to 10/2 and 20/5 Mbps, respectively. The service for small businesses that provides connection speeds of up to 15/2 Mbps will be upgraded to up to 20/5 Mbps. The small-business product that provides speeds of up to 30/5 Mbps and is currently in the market for both consumers and small businesses remains as an additional option. No other Internet access provider can beat Verizon FiOS' maximum upstream connection speed.*
The boost in broadband speeds for these qualifying packages offers Verizon FiOS-eligible customers in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut a breathtaking broadband experience.
For example, the faster speeds can mean faster online research and quicker downloads and uploads of photos and large files.* In addition, faster speeds make sharing a single Internet connection even better for customers with multiple computers.
"Speed is the winner in the broadband race, and Verizon FiOS Internet Service offers customers a more powerful and faster solution," said Chris Pizzirani, Verizon vice president, product management and development. "With faster connection speeds, we're creating an unsurpassed Internet experience at an unbeatable price."
Verizon offers FiOS Internet and FiOS TV services over its fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network - the only network that currently brings fiber-optic technology directly to homes and businesses on a widespread scale. The company is currently building its FTTP network in more than half of the states where it offers landline communications services, including more than 200 communities in the tri-state area.
FiOS service for consumers is available as part of a bundle of local and long-distance calling services from Verizon, or as a stand-alone Internet access service. Customers can receive a discount with a one-year commitment to FiOS, along with free installation for their primary computer.
In New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, Verizon now offers consumers three tiers of Verizon FiOS Internet Service at the same prices previously charged for the lower speeds:
* 10 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream (increased from 5/2). Suited for Internet surfing and basic computer functions. $34.95 a month with a one-year agreement or $39.95 a month stand-alone.
* 20 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream (increased from 15/2). Appealing for families that have multiple computers and various needs such as multi-media and the ability to access and send large files. $44.95 a month with a one-year agreement or $49.95 a month stand-alone.
* 30 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream. Designed for communications-intensive power users with significant bandwidth needs, such as telecommuters or work-at-home households and avid online gamers. $54.95 a month with a one-year agreement or $59.95 a month stand-alone in NY ($179.95 - $199.95 in NJ and CT).
FiOS service for small businesses is available as part of a bundle of local and long-distance calling services from Verizon, or as a stand-alone Internet access service. Small-business customers can receive free professional installation for their primary computer, plus a 10 to 20 percent monthly discount with a qualifying local service page package.
Small-business owners can choose from three tiers of FiOS Internet service, one including the new speed change at no increase in price, with either a dynamic Internet protocol (IP) address or static IP address:
* 20 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream (increased from 15/2), for the former 15 Mbps prices of $59.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $99.95 a month with static IP address.
* 30 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream (no speed change), for $349.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $389.95 a month with static IP address.
* Up to 5 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream synchronous service (no speed change), for $169.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $209.95 with static IP address.
All FiOS business services include 24x7 business-grade technical support. Companies also receive up to 15 domain name e-mail addresses (firstname.lastname@example.org), 20 MB (megabytes) of Web space and unlimited remote dial-up access that keeps employees connected when they're on the road. A one-year contract is required for all FiOS business packages.
Residential customers who want to determine whether they can order FiOS Internet Service can call 888-GET FIOS (888-438-3467) or visit Verizon's FiOS Web site at www.verizonfios.com. Small businesses can call 877- FIOS BIZ (877-346-7249) to determine if they qualify for FiOS Internet Service for Business or visit
www.verizon.com/fiosinternet/ for more information and current promotions.
*All speeds reflect initial connection speeds between your computer and Verizon's central office. Actual throughput speeds will vary based on numerous factors, including network and Internet congestion and the speed of websites visited on the Internet.
Verizon reminds you to always download legally.*>
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), a Dow 30 company, is a leader in delivering broadband and other communication innovations to wireline and wireless customers. Verizon operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving 51.3 million customers nationwide; one of the most expansive wholly-owned global IP networks; and one of the nation's premier wireline networks, serving home, business and wholesale customers. Based in New York, Verizon has a diverse workforce of approximately 250,000 and generates annual consolidated operating revenues of approximately $90 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.