TAMPA, Fla. - Residents of The Place at Channelside, a 245-unit luxury condominium development in downtown Tampa, will soon have the latest in broadband and entertainment -- FiOS Internet and FiOS TV, delivered over Verizon's all-fiber optic network.
Downtown Tampa is a booming, vibrant area, with at least six new construction projects under way. The Place at Channelside, scheduled to open in April, was developed by Key Developers Group and features innovative designs and floor plans, as well as leading-edge amenities and finishes.
"We're building luxurious homes with the latest features so it made sense to have Verizon wire The Place with its fiber-optic network," said Jamal Mansour, vice president of Key Developers Group. "Now we can provide our residents with the network that can deliver uncompressed HD-TV and up to 30 megabit-per-second (Mbps) Internet access and still have the bandwidth available to support future technologies. We're future-proofing our project."
Studies show that homeowners recognize that an all-fiber connection can increase the market value of their homes. For example, an independent survey of owners of homes with fiber connections, recently conducted by RVA Render, Vanderslice & Associates, shows that the owners estimate their homes are worth an average of $4,318 more when served by fiber optics all the way to the home.
Verizon's all-fiber-optic network will add to The Place's value. For instance, FiOS Internet Service at speeds of up to 30 Mbps will allow the user to download a standard 90-minute movie in a little over 5 minutes. By contrast, most cable companies offer speeds between 3-5 Mbps, and it would take about 30 minutes to about an hour to download a movie at those speeds.
Eric Cevis, vice president of Verizon Enhanced Communities, said, "Giving better service at a great price and enhancing property values are becoming the hallmark for properties we serve. We'll now be serving a property in downtown Tampa, spreading the impact of FiOS."
Verizon is building the nation's largest all-fiber-optic network directly to customers, with 6 million homes to be passed by year's end. Only Verizon's FiOS network has earned the certification of the independent Fiber to the Home Council for providing fiber all the way to customers' homes and businesses, ensuring that customers are able to realize the full suite of next-generation services that only fiber can deliver.
Verizon's FiOS Internet service offers download speeds of up to 5, 15 or 30 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 5 Mbps. Highlights of the FiOS TV service include:
- A lead offer with more than 180 digital video and music channels.
- Twenty-six high-definition (HD) channels in the Florida market, with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound.
- More than 2,500 On Demand titles available to customers now, increasing to over 3,500 titles in the next several months.
- Channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news, shopping, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.
- An easy-to-use interactive programming guide that integrates HD programming, On Demand content and the digital video recorder along with broadcast television into a seamless user experience.
- A dual-tuner, HD-capable DVR that gives customers the freedom to pause and rewind live TV, record one show while watching another, and fast forward to their favorite part of the program - all without a VCR, tapes or DVDs.
- The option of Home Media DVR, featuring a multi-room DVR that enables up to three simultaneous viewings of programs recorded by the device without requiring customers to set up a complex home network or buy extra equipment. The recorder is bundled with Media Manager, a new feature that lets customers easily access photos and music from their personal computer and play them on their entertainment center where they look and sound the best.
- FiOS TV Widgets, a free interactive feature that provides local weather and traffic information.
Information on packages and prices on Verizon's FiOS is available at www.verizon.com/fios or www.verizonfios.com/tv. For more information about the products and services available through Verizon Enhanced Communities visit www.verizon.com/communities. Verizon Enhanced Communities is Verizon's business unit that markets and sells communications services to single- and multiple-home properties. The business unit recently received the Cornerstone Award from Broadband Properties Magazine for outfitting a 300-unit, eight-building residential community with Verizon's FiOS all-fiber-optic network services in just 14 days.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), a New York-based Dow 30 company, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving nearly 57 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations include Verizon Business, which operates one of the most expansive wholly-owned global IP networks, and Verizon Telecom, which is deploying the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network to deliver the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services to customers. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.