Verizon Wireless Introduces Senior Management Team
April 4, 2000
NEW YORK, NY - Verizon Wireless, the new company formed by the U.S. wireless interests of Bell Atlantic Corporation [NYSE: BEL] and Vodafone AirTouch Plc [LSE: VOD; NYSE: VOD], today introduced its new executive management team, headed up by Denny Strigl, who will serve as president and CEO.
"We have assembled a leadership team with an extraordinary combination of experience, insight and talent from all the organizations involved in this venture," said Strigl. "There is no other management team in the industry better qualified to successfully lead this new organization."
Key corporate executives reporting to Strigl include:
- Lowell C. McAdam, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer
- Richard J. (Dick) Lynch, Executive Vice President & Chief Technical Officer
- Edward (Ted) Langston, Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
- David H. (Dave) Benson, Vice President - Strategic Planning
- Roger Gurnani, Vice President - Information Systems & Chief Information Officer
- Marc C. Reed, Vice President - Human Resources
- S. Mark Tuller, Vice President - Legal & External Affairs and General Counsel
- James J. (Jim) Gerace, Vice President - Corporate Communications
As Verizon Wireless' chief operating officer, Lowell McAdam has overall responsibility for Verizon Wireless customer-facing sales and service operations. His management team includes:
- Rick Conrad, President - Northeast Area
- Gary Schulman, President - Mid-Atlantic Area
- Jack Plating, President - Southeast Area
- Annette Jacobs, President - Great Lakes Area
- Benjamin E. (Ben) Kahrnoff, President - South Central Area
- Nancy Hobbs, President - Southwest Area
- Brian J. Shay, President - Northwest Area
- Robert A. (Bob) Young, President - Paging
- Daniel S. (Dan) Mead, Vice President - Customer Care
- Debra Carroll, Vice President - Marketing
- Gary T. Ream, Vice President - Centralized Services
Full biographical background on each of the executives can be found on Verizon Wireless' web site at http://www.verizonwireless.com
In separate press releases today, Verizon Wireless also announced the following:
- A new marketing and branding effort in support of the Verizon Wireless launch;
- The introduction of new, nationwide flat-rate SingleRate pricing plans for consumers and businesses, as well as a series of wireless data-related initiatives;
- A planned investment of $3 billion on the Verizon Wireless' new nationwide wireless network in 2000, the largest to date of any wireless carrier.
The press releases can be found on Verizon Wireless' web site (http://www.verizonwireless/mediacenter). All were issued over PR Newswire this morning.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the largest wireless communications provider in the U.S. with over 16 million wireless voice and data customers and nearly 4 million paging customers. The new coast-to-coast wireless provider was formed by the combination of the U.S. wireless businesses of Bell Atlantic Corp.(NYSE:BEL) and Vodafone AirTouch Plc (LSE:VOD; NYSE:VOD). The new company includes the assets from Bell Atlantic Mobile, AirTouch Cellular, PrimeCo Personal Communications and AirTouch Paging.
Verizon Wireless will be further strengthened by the addition of the U.S. wireless assets of GTE Corp. (NYSE:GTE) when it completes its merger with Bell Atlantic. When the merger is complete, the new company will have a footprint covering nearly 90% of the U.S. population, 49 of the top 50 and 96 of the top 100 U.S. markets.
Verizon Wireless, headquartered in New York City and Bedminster, NJ, is 30,000 employees strong.