BIRMINGHAM, AL — Verizon Wireless stores in Central Alabama have teamed up with the University of Alabama to kick off their inaugural Verizon Wireless Backpack Drive to benefit children living in domestic violence shelters.
According to domestic violence prevention organizations, most children living in shelters have fled their homes due to domestic violence situations, often with only the possessions they could put in a shopping bag. The fully stocked backpacks will provide the children with their own backpacks, school supplies and essential toiletry items.
"I am very proud to be associated with Verizon Wireless as we support children for the upcoming school year," said Dennis Franchione, University of Alabama head football coach. "By teaming up with the domestic violence shelters, we can help these kids start their school year on the right foot."
Verizon Wireless is donating the fully stocked backpacks to Bread & Roses in Birmingham, Rose Haven in Gadsden and Turning Point in Tuscaloosa. The drive begins today and concludes Saturday, July 27.
"Every year, thousands of Alabama children and adults flee a violent abuser by retreating to a domestic violence shelter," Shelly Carr, Verizon Wireless district manager of retail for Central Alabama, said. "This fall, we want to help alleviate the children's apprehension at starting school while living through such difficult circumstances."
Anyone wishing to donate see-through backpacks (clear vinyl or plastic, mesh), school supplies (pencils, pens, paper, notebooks, folders, glue, rulers) and toiletry items (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, lotion) can do so at any of the seven Verizon Wireless locations in Anniston, Birmingham, Gadsden and Tuscaloosa.
Participating Verizon Wireless stores will collect donations through Saturday, July 27, and deliver them to domestic violence shelter representatives in time for the first day of school.
Verizon Wireless locations collecting donations:
- 2200 Quintard Avenue (p) (256) 236-75008 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday
- 1420 Gadsden Highway, Trussville (p) (205) 661-33259 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, and 1-6 p.m. Sunday
- 2737 Highway 280 East, Suite B1 (p) (205) 871-76689 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, and 1-6 p.m. Sunday
- 5363 Highway 280, Suite 100B (p) (205) 991-92299 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, and 1-6 p.m. Sunday
- 3080 John Hawkins Parkway (p) (205) 985-23559 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, and 1-6 p.m. Sunday
- 449 George Wallace Drive (p) (256) 546-23518 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, and 1-5 p.m. Sunday
- 2340 McFarland Boulevard East (p) (205) 366-91249 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, and 1-6 p.m. Sunday
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and 30 million customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com.
To update your profile or remove yourself from automatic News Delivery, please visit the Verizon Wireless Customized News Service Center.####