ORANGEBURG, NY — With Wireless Safety Week (May 19-23) and Memorial Day just around the corner, and the beginning of the summer travel season upon us, Verizon Wireless reminds all wireless phone users to make safety a priority when driving.
"Verizon Wireless is committed to promoting and educating the public on the safe use of wireless phones while driving all year long, but as more travelers take to the roadways during the coming months, we're reminding all wireless users of their responsibility while on the road," said Charles Hand, president, Verizon Wireless New York Metro Region. "Having a wireless phone in the car can provide great peace of mind, particularly when you're lost, delayed or taking unfamiliar routes. What's most important is using it wisely and safely at all times."
Verizon Wireless urges drivers to remember the following tips when they are behind the wheel of a vehicle:
- When behind the wheel, safe driving is always your first responsibility.
- Dial your phone only when your car is not in motion.
- Always use a hands-free device when driving and talking. Take advantage of voice-activated dialing if your phone has this feature. When you turn your phone on, make sure your hands-free device is on and working.
- Pre-program important and frequently dialed numbers, including home and babysitter, so you can dial them by pressing only a few buttons.
- Never take notes or write down phone numbers while driving. Rather, pull off the road to a safe spot or leave yourself a message on your voice mail system.
- Know your wireless phone number so emergency personnel can call you back. You may want to write it down and keep it in your car for quick reference.
- If traffic conditions warrant your undivided attention, turn your phone off, and let calls go to voice mail or activate call forwarding.
Wireless Safety Week serves to remind the public of the important role wireless phones play in both personal and public safety and to encourage the responsible use of wireless technology while driving. The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA), Verizon Wireless and other wireless carriers across the country have sponsored Wireless Safety Week since 1990 to focus attention on the important issue of public safety.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and 33.3 million customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com.####