SCHAUMBURG, IL — Verizon Wireless announced today it has completed a $281 million investment for 2004 to enhance the company's digital network in its Illinois/Wisconsin Region by upgrading transmission sites and technology to improve call quality, increase coverage areas and enable a variety of advanced services such as text and video messaging and other applications. Headquartered in Schaumburg, the region includes Illinois, Wisconsin, northwest Indiana and the Quad Cities area of Iowa.
The company has invested more than $678 million over the past three years in the region in network upgrades alone.
"As this large investment makes clear, we're not letting up in our mission to keep delivering the most reliable wireless network in this area," said Tracy Nolan, presidentIllinois/Wisconsin Region, Verizon Wireless. "And with our planned investment for the region in 2005, we will maintain our commitment to bringing our customers the best in network technology and service."
The region's network upgrade highlights for 2004 include the following:
- Activation of 34 new cell sites across the region to improve network coverage and call capacity.
- Enhancements to equipment on 1,174 existing cell sites across the region to increase capacity, enabling more customers to use their phones concurrently.
- Installation of 180 permanent backup generators across the region to ensure network functionality during times of crisis.
- Completion of a new 40,000-square-foot Mobile Telephone Switching Office (MTSO), a state-of-the-art network facility housing the electronics that operates much of Verizon Wireless' network in the area.
- Deployment of our BroadbandAccess high-speed data network in Milwaukee, Madison and Chicago, delivering the fastest, most widely available, fully mobile data experience in the nation today, with average speeds of 400-700 kilobits per second.
In addition to improving new services and everyday wireless calling coverage, the Verizon Wireless network investment is designed to enhance public safety. Resources including Cell On Light Truck (COLT) and Cell on Wheels (COW) vehicles are available for immediate dispatch to the site of any emergency in the region. These vehicles are fully self-contained for rapid deployment and extended service.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 43.8 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, N.J., Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To receive broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
Editor's Note:Test Man Ride-Along ProgramThe specially equipped Verizon Wireless test vehicles simultaneously test six wireless providers, using a computerized program to generate phonically diverse "conversations" as well as data transmissions. Members of the media who are interested in setting up an interview or ride-along with a local member of the Verizon Wireless team of real-life test men and women, contact Carolyn Schamberger at 847-619-4282 or via email at Carolyn.Schamberger1@VerizonWireless.com.####