ROCHESTER, NY — As boating season kicks into high gear, Verizon Wireless wants to remind boaters that it offers a direct connection to the U. S. Coast Guard by dialing *CG (24) from any Verizon Wireless phone. There is no charge for the service to Verizon Wireless customers throughout Upstate New York.
"Our marine coverage gives boaters another means of communications while on the water that increases convenience and enhances safety and security," said Ken Dixon, president, Verizon Wireless Upstate New York Region. "While VHF-FM maritime channel 16 should be used as the primary means for reporting an emergency, boaters can use *CG to get help or to pass along information about a navigational hazard that could endanger other boats."
Verizon Wireless reminds all wireless customers to use their phones responsibly. Just as drivers are encouraged to act reasonably when using their phones onshore, boaters should keep safety in mind when navigating and speaking on the phone. Verizon Wireless offers the following safety tips for boaters:
- Responsible boating should be your first priority.
- Make sure your phone is positioned where it is easy to see and reach.
- Use the speed dialing features on your phone to program frequently called numbers.
- Let your wireless network's Voice Mail or TXT Messaging pick up your calls when you're unable to answer the phone. If you're heading into a navigational hazard, it's easy to retrieve your messages later.
- Use your wireless phone to notify those on shore of your whereabouts and destination.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 53 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.