BASKING RIDGE, NJ — Verizon Wireless, builder and operator of the nation's most reliable wireless network, announced today that VZ Navigator(SM) (Version 4) is now available on select consumer phones. First announced during CTIA WIRELESS 2008, the newest version of VZ Navigator allows customers in 75 cities from coast to coast to access information about traffic incidents on major roadways, obtain traffic updates and find detours around traffic congestion and accidents. More cities are expected to be added in the coming year. In addition, the new version of VZ Navigator offers a 3D perspective view of maps, a movie and events finder, weather reports and forecasts, and gas prices at nearby gas stations.
Verizon Wireless' VZ Navigator service is a location-based service (LBS) application that utilizes location-based technology and real-time and historical information feeds. The new version of VZ Navigator offers customers the following features:
- Traffic Integration Customers in 75 cities can access routes that are calculated using both historical and real-time reported traffic information. Historical information allows customers to see on average whether the traffic is impacted by traffic lights, heavy traffic or school zones. Incident and flow information tells customers how traffic is flowing and includes details about reported accidents, disabled vehicles and congestion. VZ Navigator's historical data covers over 750,000 miles of roads in 48 states. The traffic tracking center continually monitors conditions along the customers' routes, sending proactive alerts to drivers about conditions ahead of them on their chosen routes. Detour options allow users to compare estimated times of arrival and conditions before selecting a new route.
- Local Movies and Events Customers can now search for show times, critics' ratings and other details for movies, concerts, plays, sporting events, and other social events based on the physical location of their phones.
- 3D Perspective View Enhances navigation by displaying maps from angles customers would see through car windshields, making it easier to visualize turn-by-turn directions.
- Gas Finder Provides customers with information on the location of gas stations close to their physical locations and even provides gas prices as reported by many gas stations in the area. Once a customer selects a station, VZ Navigator can also provide turn-by-turn directions to the selected gas station.
- Weather Provides current weather conditions and forecasts based on the physical location of the customer's phone without manually inputting an address.
Lee Daniels, vice president of consumer product development for Verizon Wireless, said, "With the new features of VZ Navigator, Verizon Wireless customers now have a powerful navigation device that not only gives them directions but also provides the latest traffic information and more. The expanded services on VZ Navigator are another example of how we provide our customers with a great value for their wireless dollar on the most reliable wireless network in the country."
Verizon Wireless customers who currently have a subscription to VZ Navigator can upgrade on select phones by simply selecting Options from the main screen of VZ Navigator then selecting Check for Updates. At launch, the following phones are able to access VZ Navigator (Version 4): G'zOne Type-V and G'zOne Type-S; Kyocera K323; The V(TM), enV(TM), enV(2)(TM), Chocolate, Venus(TM), and Voyager(TM) by LG, LG VX5300, LG VX5400, LG VX8300, LG VX8350, LG VX8600, LG VX8700, and LG VX9400; Nokia 6205 and Nokia 2605; MOTOKRZR(TM) K1m, MOTORAZR(TM) maxx Ve, MOTORAZR(2) V9m, MOTORAZR(TM) V3c, MOTORAZR(TM) V3m, MOTOSLVR L7c, MOTO(TM) Z6c world edition, and Motorola W385; and Alias(TM) by Samsung, Verizon Wireless Juke by Samsung, Samsung SCH-a930, Samsung SCH-a990, Samsung SCH-u410, Samsung SCH-u540, and Samsung SCH-u620.
For more information on VZ Navigator, visit www.verizonwireless.com/vznavigator. For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
VZ Navigator's traffic capabilities are available on most major highways in the following markets today:
- Little Rock
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Colorado Springs
- West Palm Beach
- New Orleans
- Grand Rapids
- Kansas City
- St. Louis
- Las Vegas
- New York
- Oklahoma City
- San Antonio
- Salt Lake City
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 67.2 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 69,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####