TUPELO, MS — Verizon Wireless opened its doors over the weekend to serve former Alltel and new customers throughout Mississippi, giving them access to the nation’s most reliable wireless network, the nation’s largest 3G broadband network and the full suite of Verizon Wireless devices in retail stores, online and on the phone. The move marks the official changeover of Alltel to Verizon Wireless in Mississippi.
The company completed its purchase of Alltel in January and has spent the past six months integrating networks, preparing to convert billing systems, upgrading high-speed wireless broadband service, and re-merchandising stores to transition former Alltel customers and welcome new customers in Mississippi to Verizon Wireless. Similar transition activities have occurred in the other southern markets Verizon Wireless acquired from Alltel.
Best of the Best in the Industry Former Alltel customers in Mississippi, as well as new customers, now have access to Verizon Wireless’ leading lineup of devices and data services, and may visit Verizon Wireless stores wherever they travel throughout the United States for sales and service. In addition, customers will enjoy:
- Service on the nation’s most reliable voice and data network, supported by a team of real-life test men and women driving the local roads to test network performance and determine areas for improvements.
- Faster speeds when accessing the Internet, e-mail and corporate data as a result of upgrading the existing EV-DO network to Rev.A technology.
- Best-in-class devices including the BlackBerry® Storm™, Tour TM and other global smartphones; MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot, HP 1151NR netbooks, and many more, all backed by the nation’s largest most reliable nationwide voice and data network.
- A mobile-to-mobile calling family of more than 80 million across the nation.
- High-value services, such as Friends and Family® (formerly My Circle), which offers customers unlimited voice calling to and from up to 10 numbers, including landlines; as well as other services like Push-To-Talk, V CAST and V CAST Music with Rhapsody.
- An expanded network of retail stores, including re-branded Alltel locations in the South as well as existing Verizon Wireless stores.
- Service provided by employees trained to sell the latest products and services, and provide the best customer service for continued customer loyalty. Verizon Wireless has the highest customer loyalty in the industry.
As part of the integration, Verizon Wireless also is launching its HopeLine® Phone Recycling Program in previous Alltel markets throughout the state. Through the program, individuals can provide assistance to domestic violence victims, and agencies that help them, by donating no longer used wireless phones and accessories to be refurbished, recycled or sold. The proceeds benefit victims of domestic violence through agency grants and the donation of wireless phones and service.
“The bringing together of two great companies was carefully planned and executed with a goal to provide customers with the best that both Alltel and Verizon Wireless had to offer,” said Steven R. Smith, South Central Region President for Verizon Wireless. “Verizon Wireless is here to provide Mississippians the best value in wireless, offering the best network, best products and services and best customer service in the industry.”
For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, or to find a Verizon Wireless Communications Store near you, go to www.verizonwireless.com.
(Editor’s Note: To accompany a Verizon Wireless Test Man or obtain broadcast-quality video B-roll, contact Lucie Pathmann PR Manager at (501)905-5553.)
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving more than 86.6 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 86,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.