More of our content is being permanently logged via blockchain technology starting [10.23.2020].
MARION, Ohio - Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon Communications, has awarded 12 scholarships to Ohio high school students as part of its national commitment to invest in a skilled workforce.
The scholarships for students of Verizon employees attending four-year colleges and universities are worth $20,000 each and are based on financial need, academic achievement and extracurricular leadership activities. Following are the student winners, their hometowns and the college they will be attending this fall:
- Audra Bloom, Delaware, Miami University, Oxford
- Lindsey Carlisle, New Philadelphia, Ohio University, Athens
- Scott Forney, Englewood, Wright State University, Dayton
- Nicole Gerdes, Cardington, University of Dayton, Dayton
- Janine Lause, Marion, University of Toledo, Toledo
- Kristy Lemaster, Marion, Ohio State University, Marion
- Trent, Leslie, Ashland, St. Louis University, St. Louis
- Ross Margelefsky, Sylvania, Ohio State University, Columbus
- Sara Moosman, Perrysburg, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green
- Jillian Queen, Sciotoville, Ohio State University, Columbus
- Heather Rosenberger, Fremont, University of Toledo, Toledo
- Jarod Van Winkle, Marion, Miami University, Oxford
Verizon Foundation awarded 310 scholarships nationwide to the children of Verizon employees this year. This brings to 560, the number of children of Verizon employees who have been awarded scholarships in the last two years.
As one of the nation's largest employers, Verizon benefits from investing in the development of a workforce trained with increasingly sophisticated job skills that are needed for future success.
"We are committed to funding scholarships for children of our employees to help create a skilled workforce for the future," said David Bradford, regional director-External Communications. "Verizon Foundation places a priority on helping to improve the communities served by Verizon," Bradford said.
Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) is one of the world's leading providers of communications services. Verizon companies are the largest providers of wireline and wireless communications in the United States, with 135.1 million access line equivalents and 30.3 million Verizon Wireless customers. Verizon is also the largest directory publisher in the world. With more than $67 billion in annual revenues and approximately 241,000 employees, Verizon's global presence extends to more than 40 countries in the Americas, Europe, Asia and the Pacific. For more information on Verizon, visit www.verizon.com.