To get a head start on Earth Day, I decided to volunteer at a community event with my fellow Verizon Green Team members. One thing that makes it easy to be a volunteer in my community, in Irving, Texas, is that local event listings are emailed to me as part of my Verizon Green membership. That’s how I found and enrolled in the Don't mess with Texas Trash-Off.
At the event, there were 160 adult and 101 youth volunteers who donated 783 hours and collected 2,220 pounds of trash. We also collected 1,020 pounds of recyclable material that will be directed to a recycling center for processing instead of being sent to a landfill.
These results motivate me to work at least four volunteer events each year. The cleanup also made me realize five things I love about green volunteering – and I hope they will encourage others to get involved:
- Cause-Related Networking -- I always love getting together with a group of Verizon employees for a good cause. It gives us chance to get to know each other outside of the office, and volunteering provides a way to build our teamwork skills.
- Seeing is Believing -- At trash pickup events, we are given bags for trash and recycling. I almost always leave the events with my bags completely filled up. Seeing all of the trash collected helps me visualize the greater impact that is made from similar volunteer events around the world.
- Healthy Helping Hands -- As a health and wellness coordinator at Verizon, I see many benefits to helping others, volunteering and getting active in the community. I believe it is important to recognize all dimensions of wellness because each one contributes to our quality of life. Health and wellness are much more than exercising and eating right. It is the combination of physical, mental and spiritual well-being, and being a part of the Verizon Green Team is just one way in which these areas of wellness are promoted throughout the company.
- Act Local, Think Global -- It was such an uplifting experience to know that what we are doing is helping the local community – and in turn, making a difference for our planet. While I am acting locally, the feeling of being involved in a global green movement keeps me dedicated to volunteering at events each year.
- Work Well, Live Well -- Giving back at events like this helps with stress management and leaves you feeling fulfilled and appreciative for what you have. I am so thankful to work for a company that promotes green living. I feel good knowing that Verizon supports sustainability initiatives and volunteer work. Being part of the company’s Green Team provides an opportunity to enjoy the outdoors while getting together with employees in a social environment.
In celebration of Earth Day, join us at future volunteering events.