Contact: Cliff Lee 1-800-698-0198
NYNEX Brings Digital Network to Limestone, Machias
NYNEX will activate a state-of-the-art digital switching system today (3/19) for Limestone customers in the 925 exchange. A similar system will be activated on Wednesday, March 26 for NYNEX customers in the 353 Machias exchange.
These new switches in NYNEX's Main Street, Limestone, and Main Street, Machias central offices, which serve about 2,000 customer lines, will bring a variety of new services for both residential and business customers in the two communities. When combined with the regions nearly 100,000 miles of optical fiber -- the pipeline for rapid, high-volume transmission of voice, data and video messages -- the NYNEX digital switching systems will provide Limestone and Machias customers with the most advanced telecommunications network in the world.
"This effort is another example of NYNEXs commitment to its customers in Cattaraugus County and throughout the region," said Joseph DeMauro, NYNEX vice president and general manager for Western New York operations. "The all-digital network soon to be serving Limestone and Machias also reflects a commitment from the NYNEX employees in this region. NYNEX and its employees will continue to upgrade services and enhance our more than $1.4 billion investment in the region."
The digital switching centers will provide business and residential customer lines with new features and services, including ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network), PhoneSmart and Digital Centrex. ISDN allows customers to transmit and receive video, voice and data simultaneously over a single telephone line at rates significantly faster than conventional computer modems.
In addition, digital switching is the backbone for other NYNEX services, such as telemedicine and distance learning.
Some new PhoneSmart features include:
- Caller ID - Displays the telephone number of the person calling you after the first ring. Customers must order the service from NYNEX and purchase devices separately to display numbers of incoming calls.
- Repeat Dialing - Automatically redials a busy number for up to 30 minutes.
- Call Return - Redials the number of the last caller.
- Call Trace - Sends the telephone number of the last caller to the NYNEX Annoyance Call Bureau.
- Ringmate Service - Allows two or three telephone numbers to be associated with one telephone line. Each number has a distinctive ring. The service is convenient for families with teenage children or people with home businesses.
NYNEX is a global communications and media corporation that provides a full range of services in the Northeastern United States and high-growth markets around the world, including the United Kingdom, Thailand, Gibraltar, Greece, Indonesia, the Philippines, Poland, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. The corporation is a leader in telecommunications, wireless communications, directory publishing and video entertainment and information services. NYNEX is also managing sponsor of FLAG -- Fiberoptic Link Around the Globe -- the world's longest undersea fiber optic communications cable.