Verizon Awards $62,000 in Workforce Development Grants To Six Michigan Nonprofits
Our editorial transparency tool uses blockchain technology to permanently log all changes made to official releases after publication.
More of our content is being permanently logged via blockchain technology starting [10.23.2020].
Muskegon, Mich. - Six Michigan nonprofit organizations have been awarded grants totaling $62,000 from Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon Communications, to help train workers for new and better jobs.
"Economic vitality in Michigan depends on a skilled workforce," said Paul Fuglie, vice-president, regulatory and government affairs for Verizon Michigan. "These grants will help workers receive the necessary training to remain competitive in today's challenging labor market.
"Cultivating a skilled workforce attracts jobs and businesses," said Fuglie. "Verizon is committed to assisting the communities we serve in these efforts."
In April, nonprofit and educational organizations in the Great Lakes Region states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin were invited to compete for Verizon grants by submitting proposals outlining workforce development programs. Six Michigan proposals were selected for funding.
Verizon workforce grant awardees in the Great Lakes State are:
- Alpena Community College (Alpena) -- $15,000 for phase three of design and development of curriculum and courses for a new Associate in Applied Science/Telecommunication Technology degree at the college.
- Family Service Workforce Development Center (Muskegon) -- $10,000 to help fund the Dads Only program to provide individualized case-management for low-income, unemployed, non-custodial fathers.
- Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Michigan, Inc. (Adrian) -- $12,000 to fund hands-on career exploration linked to basic academic skills for people with disabilities.
- Urban League of Greater Muskegon (Muskegon) -- $10,000 for funding the Urban League's approach to training with computers to help prepare individuals for today's technology-centric jobs.
- Mid-Michigan Industries Inc. (Mount Pleasant) -- $10,000 to provide technology to broaden the horizons of individuals with limited skills.
- West Michigan Community Help Network (Muskegon) -- $5,000 to provide funds for a student mentoring program in broadcasting.
Verizon Foundation last year awarded 46 grants totaling more than $358,000 to charitable and nonprofit agencies in Michigan that focus on improving basic and computer literacy, enriching communities through technology, and creating a skilled work force. Nationally, the foundation awarded 22,000 grants totaling more than $70 million. The foundation uses its resources in the United States and abroad to develop partnerships in technology and connect them with organizations serving the needs of diverse communities, people with disabilities, victims of domestic violence and the economically and socially disadvantaged.
The foundation also supports Verizon Volunteers, an incentive program that last year encouraged Verizon employees to volunteer more than 500,000 hours in their communities and provided $27.8 million in combined contributions to charitable and nonprofit organizations. For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizon.com/foundation.
A Fortune 10 company, Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) is one of the world's leading providers of communications services, with approximately $67 billion in revenues and 221,000 employees. Verizon companies are the largest providers of wireline and wireless communications in the United States, with 137.6 million access line equivalents and 34.6 million Verizon Wireless customers. Verizon is the third largest long-distance carrier for U.S. consumers, with 14.6 million long-distance lines. The company is also the largest directory publisher in the world, as measured by directory titles and circulation. Verizon's international presence includes wireline and wireless communications operations and investments, primarily in the Americas and Europe. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.