These improvements will bring an array of popular advanced calling features to local customers, including Caller ID, Automatic Call Return and Automatic Busy Redial. ''These optional services help people save time and provide them with control and convenience. In short, they improve quality of life,'' said Andy Whitt, manager-network operations for Verizon. ''Many customers have asked for these services, especially Caller ID.''
Caller ID permits a customer to see who is calling before the phone is answered, using a display on the phone or Caller ID unit attached to the phone. Caller ID lets you know when a friend or family member is calling and can deter harassing calls. It also keeps a record of calls received. Cost of the service is $7 a month.
Callers with unlisted phone numbers and others who wish to protect their privacy can prevent their numbers from showing on a Caller ID unit. This can be done on a per-call basis by dialing *67 (or 1167 on a rotary phone) before placing the call. This service is called Selective Blocking - Per Call and is automatically on the phone line at no charge.
Other new advanced services include:
- Anonymous Call Block: This service, which can be activated by Caller ID customers, blocks calls when callers have prevented their phone number from being displayed on a Caller ID unit. Callers hear an announcement telling them their call will not go through unless they allow their number to be displayed. The cost is $1 a month.
- Automatic Busy Redial: This service keeps trying a busy number for up to 30 minutes. When the call can go through, the person trying to call is alerted with a special ring. Cost of the service is $5 a month.
- Automatic Call Return: Callers enter the code *69 on their phone and it automatically dials the number of the last call received, whether the call was answered or not. The cost is $5 a month.
- Call Tracing: No subscription is required. By entering *57 after a threatening or harassing call, the caller's number is captured by Verizon's network. If the customer reports the call to law enforcement, Verizon can provide the number to authorities investigating the incident.
- Call Block: This security feature rejects calls from up to 12 numbers chosen by the customer. The caller hears a recorded message when the call is not completed. The monthly charge is $4.
- Special Call Forwarding: Customers can use this customized call forwarding service to specify which calls (from as many as 12 different numbers) should be forwarded. Customers do not need to have regular Call Forwarding to subscribe to this service. The monthly charge is $4.
Many of the individual features are available at package discount rates. These services may not be available to every customer. For more information, customers should call their nearest Verizon Phone Mart toll-free at 1-800-483-6697 or Verizon customer service at 1-800-483-4000 for residential customers or 1-800-483-5000 for businesses.
The Eden upgrade will not affect the price of local service. Customers may notice a slightly different pitch in their dial tone and busy signal. Similar projects were recently completed in Lomira and Theresa. A Campbellsport project is also underway and will be completed later this year.
Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) is one of the world's leading providers of communications services. Verizon companies are the largest providers of wireline and wireless communications in the United States, with 112 million access line equivalents and 27 million wireless customers. Verizon is also the largest directory publisher in the world. A Fortune 10 company with approximately 260,000 employees and more than $65 billion in annual revenues, Verizon's global presence extends to 40 countries in the Americas, Europe, Asia and the Pacific. For more information on Verizon, visit www.verizon.com