PITTSBURGH - What do "Fast" Willie Parker, the star running back for the Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers, and Verizon's FiOS (FYE'-ose) high-speed Internet service have in common? They're both fast. Really fast.
Verizon announced today that Parker will serve as the company's Pittsburgh-area Verizon ambassador. Parker will be featured in Verizon's FiOS promotional materials and will make personal appearances throughout western Pennsylvania promoting FiOS Internet service, the industry's premier broadband service.
"When you think of fast football players, you think of Willie Parker," said Mary Ellen Payne, vice president - Verizon regional marketing operations. "And when you think of fast Internet service, you think of FiOS. Together, they make one unbeatable combination for Verizon customers who want to experience breathtaking speed on and off the field."
The company offers several tiers of FiOS Internet Service to residential and business customers in parts of more than 30 Pittsburgh-area communities. The service features downstream (download) speeds of up to 5, 15 and 30 Mbps (megabits per second) and upstream (upload) speeds of up to 5 Mbps*.
Residential customers who want to determine whether they can order FiOS Internet Service can call 800-314-8299 or visit Verizon's FiOS Web site at www.verizonfios.com. Small businesses can contact their local Verizon business office or account manager to determine if they qualify for FiOS Internet Service for Business.
Verizon offers FiOS services over its fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network, which the company currently is building in more than half of the states where it offers landline communications services. FTTP technology utilizes fiber-optic connections - instead of copper wire - directly into homes and businesses to enable a broad array of voice, data and video applications.
"FiOS is setting the new standard for consumer and small-business broadband services in Pennsylvania," said Jim O'Rourke, president and CEO of Verizon Pennsylvania. "Customers who already subscribe to FiOS services are astounded at what they now can do with their online experience. Video chats and conferencing, purchased digital movie downloads and interactive multi-player games have become a part of their daily lives."
Each FiOS service for consumers is available either as part of a bundle of local and long-distance calling services from Verizon, or as a stand-alone Internet access service. Consumers can receive a discount with a one-year commitment to FiOS, along with free installation for their primary computer.
There are three tiers of Verizon FiOS Internet Service for consumers:
- 5 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream. Suited for Internet surfing and basic computer functions. $34.95 a month with a one-year agreement or as part of a calling package, or $39.95 a month stand-alone.
- 15 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream. Appealing to families that have multiple computers and various needs such as media downloads and the ability to access or share large files. $44.95 a month with a one-year agreement or as part of a calling package, or $49.95 a month stand-alone.
- 30 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream. Designed for communications-intensive power users with significant bandwidth needs, such as telecommuters or work-at-home households and avid online gamers. $179.95 a month with a one-year agreement or as part of a calling package, or $199.95 a month stand-alone.
Each consumer data offer includes the suite of services currently available to Verizon Online DSL customers at no additional charge, including: MSN Premium or Verizon Yahoo! content and features; Verizon's new Broadband Beat entertainment portal optimized for high-speed access featuring news, games, streaming video and more; up to nine e-mail accounts with 30 megabytes (MB) of storage for the primary account and an additional 10 MB for each sub-account; address book and calendar; 10 MB personal Web space and a Web-site building tool; and access to newsgroups.
Small-business owners can choose from three flavors of service and either a dynamic Internet protocol (IP) address or a static IP address. Dynamic IP addresses are best suited for small businesses that do not have a Web site but still use the Internet for research or light to moderate e-mail. Static IP addresses, where a specific Internet routing code is assigned for exclusive use, are ideal for small businesses that:
- Are highly automated.
- Need to host Web or e-mail servers, or both.
- Use e-mail extensively to send large files with attachments.
- Have e-commerce capabilities.
- Have employees who telecommute.
The three tiers of Verizon FiOS Internet Service for Business are:
- 15 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream. Ideal for companies performing significant amounts of online research. Its upstream speed accelerates transactions and large-file transfers. $59.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $99.95 a month with a static IP address.
- 5 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream. A powerful symmetrical service, with the same high capacity downstream and upstream. Suited for companies with multiple computers needing Internet access and e-mail. $169.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $209.95 a month with a static IP address.
- 30 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream. Designed for communications-intensive companies with bandwidth-hungry needs such as video streaming, network storage applications and Web hosting. $349.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $389.95 a month with a static IP address.
Business customers can receive discounts by buying the service as part of a Verizon package that includes local and long-distance service. The Freedom for Business package offers a 20-percent discount off the monthly charge, making the 15/2 Mbps service only $47.95 with a dynamic IP address. Veriations for Business offers a 10-percent discount off the monthly charge for a dynamic or static IP address. A one-year agreement is required for any service tier, with or without a package.
All business service tiers include free professional installation and 24x7 business-grade technical support. Companies also receive 20 MB (megabytes) of Web space and unlimited remote dial-up access that keeps employees connected when they're on the road.
* NOTE: Actual (throughput) speeds will vary.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), a Dow 30 company, is a leader in delivering broadband and other communication innovations to wireline and wireless customers. Verizon operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving 51.3 million customers nationwide; one of the most expansive wholly-owned global IP networks; and one of the nation's premier wireline networks, serving home, business and wholesale customers. Based in New York, Verizon has a diverse workforce of approximately 250,000 and generates annual consolidated operating revenues of approximately $90 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.