RICHMOND, Va. - Nearly 900 nonprofit groups in Virginia received more than $3.6 million from the Verizon Foundation in 2008, enabling recipient organizations to improve literacy skills, enhance educational opportunities for children, and help domestic violence survivors rebuild their lives.
In addition, Verizon employees volunteered more than 38,500 hours to nonprofit groups throughout the state in 2008.
"Verizon has a long-standing tradition of working to improve the communities where we operate by supporting organizations that strive to make a difference in the lives of individuals," said Robert W. Woltz Jr., president of Verizon Virginia. "Through grants and the generous contributions of time and talent from our employees, we are having a positive impact on our communities."
Among the grants awarded by Verizon in 2008 are:
- Virginia Department of Education - $50,000 to raise awareness and train teachers throughout the commonwealth on the use of Thinkfinity.org, Verizon's educational resource Web site.
- Enough Is Enough - $24,000 to produce and distribute to thousands of parents across the commonwealth the organization's DVD program, "Internet Safety 101: Empowering Parents," which helps them learn more about the issues surrounding online safety.
- SeniorNavigator.com - $45,000 to support a unique domestic violence awareness program that focuses on domestic violence in later life.
- Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance - $22,000 to continue the expansion of the Red Flag Campaign, the first statewide awareness and education campaign associated with dating violence on college campuses.
- City of Richmond Public Library Foundation - $10,000 to support the Verizon Summer Reading Program, which focuses on reading as an enjoyable leisure-time activity for underserved youths.
- Virginia Electronic Commerce Technology Center, Newport News - $25,000 to fund a series of technology courses called The Verizon Series of e-Commerce Training Classes.
- Harrisonburg Education Foundation - $15,000 to develop a Thinkfinity.org Academy, which supports teachers in the Harrisonburg Public School Division in their use of the Thinkfinity.org educational resource Web site.
- Greater Prince William CASA Inc., Manassas - $9,000 to support the increase of new cases of child abuse and neglect that CASA receives.
- Literacy Volunteers of Prince William County, Woodbridge - $9,800 to support programs, tutors and volunteers that encourage and enhance literacy for adults and help them achieve literacy goals.
- Brain Injury Services of Southwest Virginia, Roanoke - $8,000 to address the need for accessible day-program services for people living with brain injuries in rural areas.
- Radford University, Radford and Tazewell campuses - $22,000 to use teleconferencing to provide parents, educators and other professionals with the knowledge and skills required to improve the lives of children with autism spectrum disorders.
The Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon Communications, supports the advancement of literacy and K-12 education through its free educational Web site, Thinkfinity.org, and fosters awareness and prevention of domestic violence. In 2008, the Verizon Foundation awarded more than $68 million in grants to nonprofit agencies in the U.S. and abroad. It also matched the charitable donations of Verizon employees and retirees, resulting in an additional $26 million in combined contributions to nonprofits. Through Verizon Volunteers, one of the nation's largest employee volunteer programs, Verizon employees and retirees have volunteered more than 3 million hours of community service since 2000. For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizonfoundation.org.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 80 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations include Verizon Business, which delivers innovative and seamless business solutions to customers around the world, and Verizon Telecom, which brings customers the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services over the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of nearly 224,000 and last year generated consolidated operating revenues of more than $97 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.