ThingSpace poised to solve big challenges in healthcare, agriculture and urban development
BARCELONA – On the heels of Verizon’s global ThingSpace announcement, today at Mobile World Congress, the company highlighted a series of new deployments and partnerships powered by the Internet of Things (IoT). Designed to tackle some of the biggest challenges in agriculture, healthcare, sustainability, public safety and urban development, ThingSpace, launched in October, is Verizon’s simple platform allowing businesses and developers of all sizes to build, manage and consume applications.
New projects underway include:
- Teaming up with ITK, one of the largest crop modeling companies in the world, based in France, to provide farmers, vineyard owners and growers better intelligence needed to improve planning, crop yield, and sustainability through robust data and analytics tailored for the agriculture industry as a component of Verizon’s AgTech platform.
- Deploying Verizon’s Intelligent video solution to expand public safety. Georgetown University in Washington D.C. has installed the solution to enhance security efforts for students, faculty and facilities on university grounds. Napa County Airport also used the technology as an extra layer of protection to allow local law enforcement to quickly identify and assess potential threats that would negatively impact fans and business partners attending Super Bowl 50 along with the community-at-large.
- Establishing the Village of Bedford Park, IL (a Chicago suburb) as a Verizon Smart City Municipal Innovation District. With the help of Verizon’s IoT technology solutions for lighting, public safety and traffic, Bedford Park aims to transform its existing infrastructure into a smarter digital infrastructure. The improvements are intended to fuel economic development by attracting millennials, enterprises and start-ups to the community.
- Introducing Intelligent Track & Trace, a new application on ThingSpace designed to drive innovation in the healthcare industry. A near real-time supply chain management platform, Intelligent Track & Trace will help pharmaceutical and other healthcare companies in the U.S and select European countries track, trace and monitor the condition of their shipments, particularly high value assets. Slated for commercial availability this spring, the solution is currently in deployment with a global pharmaceutical company.
- Becoming a champion for “ideas worth spreading,” through its new partnership with TEDxCambridge -- a premier independently organized TED event experience and technology exhibition celebrating innovation from across the United States. Held in Boston, Massachusetts, Verizon will participate with leading thinkers and doers ranging from CEOs and scientists to academics and policy makers. Verizon will also showcase groundbreaking new IoT technology through its Boston-based innovation center.
“The key to shifting the Internet of Things from a fairly nascent space to broader market adoption is well-defined ROIs and business outcomes,” said Mark Bartolomeo vice president IoT Connected Solutions. “Through specific use cases deployed in collaboration with our customers and partners, we are seeing how seemingly disparate technologies when applied and integrated in a meaningful way can improve things like agriculture planning, urban development and public safety -- paving the way for the next-generation of societal innovation in the digital economy.”
Learn more about how Verizon is helping its business customers transform their operations with new applications powered by the Internet of Things.