ROCHESTER, NY — Verizon Wireless customers in Upstate New York can now access e-mail, the Internet, everyday corporate data and more at faster speeds, and upload files five to six times faster than before, as the company rolls out the next-generation of its high-speed broadband network across the region. Based on CDMA 1x Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) Revision A (Rev. A) technology, the enhanced wireless broadband network now reaches Verizon Wireless customers in and around several Upstate New York markets, giving customers sending e-mails with attachments and picture messages speeds even faster than the company's award-winning national EV-DO network.
Beginning today, the faster Rev. A technology is now available in the following markets:
- Buffalo throughout the cities of Buffalo and Niagara Falls, as well as dozens of surrounding towns and villages and into Genesee County.
- Rochester throughout the City of Rochester, nearly all of Monroe County, and into Livingston, Ontario and Wayne counties.
- Syracuse throughout the City of Syracuse and most of Onondaga County, northwest toward Oswego, and east toward the Utica area.
- Albany throughout the cities of Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Saratoga Springs and Glens Falls, surrounding towns and villages, and south along the I-87 corridor through the Poughkeepsie area.
- Orange-Dutchess-Ulster available in the cities of Poughkeepsie, Kingston, Newburgh, Middletown, Monroe, Harriman and West Point, and dozens of surrounding towns and villages.
- Binghamton available throughout the greater Binghamton area and along the Route 17 corridor west to Corning.
- Elmira-Corning available throughout the cities of Elmira and Corning, including surrounding towns and villages.
- Ithaca available throughout the Greater Ithaca area, including several surrounding towns and villages.
Rev. A coverage now stretches from Buffalo east through Syracuse, Albany north to Glens Falls and south through the Poughkeepsie area, Binghamton west through the Elmira-Corning area, and in Ithaca.
"Verizon Wireless is committed to delivering superior network reliability and services," said Marquett Smith, president of Verizon Wireless' Upstate New York region. "The faster uplink speeds will greatly benefit customers that upgrade to Rev. A compatible devices."
The company's existing EV-DO network enables customers to access BroadbandAccess on their laptops, e-mail on their PDAs, and V CAST Video and Music on their wireless phones. The company's national wireless broadband network, the first in the nation, is already available to more than 200 million Americans in 242 major metropolitan areas and 180 major airports from coast to coast.
The company's flagship business data service, BroadbandAccess, will run faster and more efficiently with the new network enhancements. Customers in enhanced coverage areas can take advantage of a better customer experience when using Web-based applications. For example, BroadbandAccess customers in enhanced wireless broadband coverage areas can expect average download speeds of 450-800 kilobits per second (kbps) and average upload speeds of 300-400 kbps, translating to being able to download a 1 Megabyte e-mail attachment the equivalent of a small PowerPoint® presentation or a large PDF file in less than 15 seconds and upload the same size file in less than 25 seconds, significantly faster than customers of wireless service providers who use non-EV-DO Rev. A technology.
The first two devices from Verizon Wireless that take advantage of faster speeds provided by these new network enhancements are the new compact USB720 wireless modem and the AirCard 595 PC Card from Verizon Wireless. Both devices are fully compatible and backward compatible with the company's enhanced and existing wireless broadband networks, and the company's NationalAccess network (based on CDMA 1xRTT technology). Upstate New York customers interested in purchasing either device can contact a business sales representative at 1-800-922-0204. The devices are also available online at www.verizonwireless.com.
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving more than 59 million customers. The largest U.S. wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 65,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####