BASKING RIDGE, NJ — Staying connected while traveling abroad will get easier for Verizon Wireless customers who will soon benefit from the Gobi™ module from Qualcomm, the first global mobile wireless broadband Internet embedded solution that leading notebook manufacturers will introduce this month. This embedded Internet solution works with Verizon Wireless’ GlobalAccess and BroadbandAccess services to provide streamlined global mobile broadband access on both CDMA and GSM wireless networks in over 125 destinations worldwide. This solution joins Verizon Wireless’ offering of global phones, PC cards and other international services geared toward occasional and frequent global travelers.
“As the leading wireless provider in the U.S., it is important for Verizon Wireless to provide the best experience for our customers – both at home and abroad,” said Rob Miller, vice president – marketing for Verizon Wireless. “In addition to our many international solutions, built-in Global BroadbandAccess Internet is a powerful tool for business travelers, allowing them to rely on one device to access mission critical materials without having to switch between devices based on wireless network standards in various countries.”
Available in August on select laptops, users must visit the connection manager on their device and switch from CDMA to GSM. Once switched, this embedded solution detects the network technology available where the customer is working and seamlessly transitions the configurations to provide high-speed access to the Internet, customer’s calendar, e-mail and other business-related information residing behind the corporate firewall. BroadbandAccess built-in Internet is an ideal embedded solution for enterprise, government and other business customers who want to streamline the number of devices they carry while traveling around the globe because it supports wireless network technologies for CDMA 1x, EV-DO Rev. A, GPRS, UMTS, HSDPA and HSUPA networks.
To activate global wireless access, customers can purchase a BroadbandAccess or GlobalAccess data plan from Verizon Wireless. BroadbandAccess is Verizon Wireless’ high-speed wireless data service that lets customers work at broadband speeds when traveling throughout the U.S. With GlobalAccess, customers can use an international PC card, such as the XU870 Global ExpressCard, or a laptop with embedded BroadbandAccess to connect instantly to their e-mail and the Internet outside of the U.S.
BroadbandAccess and GlobalAccess Pricing
BroadbandAccess is available as a monthly plan at $39.99 (50 MB allowance) or $59.99 (5 GB allowance) monthly access on eligible PC cards, ExpressCards, USB Modems and notebooks with embedded modules. GlobalAccess is available as a monthly plan at $129.99 for monthly access (5 GB allowance for the U.S. and Canada with $0.25/MB after allowance), 100 MB allowance in Mexico and select destinations ($0.005/KB after allowance) and the ability to connect in many other destinations around the world ($0.02/KB). For occasional use, customers can add a pay-per-use GlobalAccess plan. GlobalAccess pay-per-use plans must be purchased with a $59.99 (5 GB allowance) monthly access BroadbandAccess service plan in the United States. The pay-per-use rate is $0.002/KB in Canada, $0.005/KB in Mexico, and $0.02/KB in more than 125 other destinations.
International Options to Help Verizon Wireless Customers Stay Connected
Verizon Wireless also offers many other international devices and services perfect for Verizon Wireless customers traveling around the globe for business or pleasure:
- Global Phones – With a Verizon Wireless Global Phone, customers can place and receive calls from more than 195 destinations worldwide. Customers can currently choose from two different Global Phone options: the Motorola MOTO™ Z6c World Edition and the BlackBerry® 8830 World Edition smartphone in red or silver.
- Verizon Wireless Phones – Customers who do not have a Global Phone and wish to use their current Verizon Wireless handset can roam on a participating carriers’ network in more than 35 destinations worldwide. Simply call * (star) 611 from a Verizon Wireless phone to speak to a Verizon Wireless customer service representative prior to traveling to enable International Roaming, which is free of activation charges. Additionally, Verizon Wireless’ Cruise Ship Services allow customers to make and receive calls while traveling on select cruise lines for $2.49 per minute.
- GlobalEmail –Verizon Wireless customers can use GlobalEmail on the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone or the Samsung SCH-i830 to access corporate LAN e-mail and attachments along with their personal POP3 e-mail accounts while traveling in the U.S. and abroad. Customers enjoy unlimited, flat-rate data pricing with voice coverage in more than 195 destinations and data coverage in over 125 destinations. Verizon Wireless’ GlobalEmail Monthly Plans are available for $64.99 monthly access with a voice plan or $69.99 monthly access for data only.
- Global Travel Program – Ideal for the occasional or infrequent global traveler who needs to stay connected to home and the office, the Global Travel Program allows existing Verizon Wireless customers traveling in a GSM Country for less than 21 days to receive a Global Voice, Global BlackBerry, or Global Data device for short-term use by calling a Global Services Activation Specialist at 1-800-711-8300. Customers can keep their regular phone number and voicemail and transfer their contact list to the Global Phone they receive using Backup Assistant. A nominal shipping fee applies, but there are no daily rental fees or no security deposits.
- Global Value Program – For customers who travel abroad frequently, the Global Travel Program offers discounted roaming charges on calls made to and from select countries for just $4.99 a month.
To learn more about international services from Verizon Wireless, visit www.verizonwireless.com/international, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store or call 1-800-2 JOIN IN. Business customers should call 1-800-VZW-4BIZ or contact their Verizon Wireless Sales Representative.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 68.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 70,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.