WALNUT CREEK, CA — Alameda County residents, businesses and visitors are enjoying improved service thanks to seven new Verizon Wireless cell sites. The sites expand 3G wireless coverage in:
- Hayward – coverage spans north to Meek and Myrtle Avenue, south to Berry Avenues and Soto Road, east to Highway 238 and East Jackson and west to Amador and West Jackson
- Emeryville - coverage spans north to 7th and Channing Avenue, south to the Emeryville Market Place community and east to 66th and San Pablo Avenue
- Oakland - coverage spans throughout the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) Transbay Tube between the West Oakland and Embarcadero (San Francisco) stations
- Oakland – improving 3G data coverage from the site’s location north to Highway 580 & Edwards Avenue, south to Highway 580 & Fontaine Avenue, east to Keller Avenue and Campus Drive and west to Greenly Drive and Holmes Avenue
- Oakland – coverage includes the intersection of High Street and Fairfax Avenue, south to Holy Street and 73rd Avenue, east to Macarthur and 55th and west to International Boulevard and 55th Avenue
- Oakland – in the area surrounding Laney College, north to the intersection of 7th and Jackson, south to Foothill Boulevard and East 16th Avenue, east to Lakeshore Boulevard and Beacon Street and west to Webster Street and Buena Vista Avenue.
- Oakland - coverage spans north to the intersection of 21st and East 21st, south to Bancroft and Cole Street, east to 35th and Wisconsin Street and west to Fruitvale and East 16th
The increase in coverage and capacity means the network can carry more calls, e-mails, text and picture messages in more places, and offer greater wireless access to the Web.
The company’s ongoing network investment in California now totals nearly $5.7 billion. Nationally, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $55 billion since it was formed -- $5.5 billion on average every year -- to increase the coverage and capacity of its premier nationwide network and to add new services. The result is the nation’s largest, most reliable wireless voice and 3G network that powers services such as Mobile Broadband and Mobile Email.
Businesses of any size can tap into the power of Mobile Broadband. The service allows users to connect to the Internet wirelessly while on the go to download music over-the-air, and access e-mail or corporate data.
Small business owners interested in Mobile Broadband, and other wireless solutions, can visit http://smallbusiness.vzw.com where they will find:
- An online forum to share experiences and connect with other business owners
- Access to Small Business Specialists in each Verizon Wireless store
- Discounts and promotions to help businesses stretch their budgets
- Summaries of mobile solutions like e-mail, wireless Internet and Push to Talk service
- 24/7 tech support
Verizon Wireless tests its network and those of its competitors. The company determines if voice calls and data connections are successful on the first attempt and stay connected.
Nationally, Verizon Wireless’ real-life test men and women drive 91 specially equipped vehicles almost 1,000,000 miles annually. They drive on Interstate, U.S. and state highways, as well as major roads and streets in high-population areas, based upon U.S. Census counts. Vehicles are equipped with computers that automatically make more than three million voice call attempts and more than 16 million data tests annually on Verizon Wireless’ network and the networks of other carriers.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving more than 91 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 83,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NASDAQ and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.