BIRMINGHAM, AL — Verizon Wireless, the only wireless service provider with a state-wide 3G network in Alabama, announced today that it invested more than $27 million in the first quarter of 2010 to enhance its network across the state. Verizon Wireless’ continued investments ensure that Alabama customers have the service they need everywhere in the state as well as the capacity they need for their growing data usage.
Verizon Wireless has invested more than $55 billion nationally since it was formed – $5.5 billion on average every year – to increase the coverage and capacity of its premier nationwide network and to add new services.
“Our goal is to deliver the coverage and capacity our Alabama customers need to stay connected no matter where they are in the state or what kind of device they use. Wireless data usage has grown exponentially and we are committed to staying ahead of the growing demand,” said Jeff Mango, president, Alabama/Georgia Region for Verizon Wireless. “Network coverage and reliability is why customers choose Verizon Wireless, period.”
Expanded Coverage Verizon Wireless expanded its network coverage and enhanced capacity during the first quarter of 2010 across the state. Cities and towns benefiting from these network updates include:
- North Alabama: Cloverdale, Florence, Holly Pond, Leighton and Muscle Shoals
- Birmingham area: Addison, Clanton, the Gilberts Lake area south of Calera, Jemison, Lake Mitchell, Locust Fork, Maplesville, the town of Ocampo south of Montevallo and Thorsby
- West Alabama: Centerville, Demopolis, Forkland, Gallion, Harmon, Forkland, Pennington and West Blockton
- East Alabama: Altoona, Anniston, Bynum, Gadsden, Joseph Springs, Lincoln, Rock Springs, Ross Mountain, Muscadine, Talladega, Wedowee
- Montgomery area: Carters Hill, Fort Deposit, Maxwell Air Force Base, Montgomery, Pine Level, Prattville, Verbena, Wetumpka
- Dothan area: Andalusia, Brantley, Clayton, Columbia, Cottonwood, Cowarts, Dothan, Eufaula Florala, Madrid, Newton, Ozark, Troy, Webb, Hwy 231 in the area of Country Crossing
- U.S. 280 Corridor: Alexander City, Auburn, Childersburg, Lafayette, Lake Joy, Lake Martin, Loachapoka, Millerville, Opelika, Rockford, Sylacauga
Trusted Wireless ConnectivityCurrently, 95 percent of the state’s population is covered by Verizon Wireless’ 3G network, providing customers with the ability to browse the Web faster for quick page-loading times, downloads for music and 3D games, streaming video, e-mails with attachments, video conferencing with contacts, rapidly sharing files and quick access to VZ Navigator® – a location-based service offering maps, audible driving directions, traffic updates, gas station locations and pricing.
EDITOR’S NOTE: For a Test Man ride-along or to tour a Verizon Wireless network facility, please contact Caran Smith at 678-339-4891.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving nearly 93 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 81,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.