First on the scene. First in our hearts.
Commissioner Bill Bratton stops by on a day when we highlight our first responders and all they do. Plus, another chance to watch and win.
Our editorial transparency tool uses blockchain technology to permanently log all changes made to official releases after publication. However, this post is not an official release and therefore not tracked. Visit our learn more for more information.
More of our content is being permanently logged via blockchain technology starting [10.23.2020].
Highlights from today’s Up To Speed:
A visit by Commissioner Bill Bratton
Jeremy was joined by Commissioner Bill Bratton, former NYPD commissioner and LAPD chief, who’s also chair of the recently announced Verizon First Responder Advisory Council, a group made up of some of the nation’s top public safety leaders.
The group is holding a virtual town hall on August 18 at 4 PM ET/1 PM PT to offer their counsel and expertise to first responders.
Heroes Among Us
Jeremy shared a video that celebrates the exceptional V Teamers who also serve as first responders. The work is difficult and often dangerous, but they have a love for helping others and we love them for it.
These include firefighters, emergency medical technicians (EMTs), nurses, police officers and more. Featured in the video were:
- Jim McConnell, Corporate Security Program Management, Irving, TX (Search and Rescue)
- Kendrick Jackson, Solutions Specialist, Apex, NC (EMT)
- Chad Myers, Senior Manager, Potomac CE/FE, Aberdeen, MD (Volunteer Firefighter)
- Mark Bluteau, Field Assurance Engineer III, Hookset, NH (Advanced EMF, Level 2 Firefighter)
- Jodie Ryan, Senior Manager, Threat Operations, Seattle, WA (Public health Medical Responder)
- Matthew Burridge, Senior Manager, Voice Ordering and Support, Richmond, VA (Volunteer Auxiliary Police Officer)
- Michelle Cuevas, Senior Manager, Portfolio Governance, Basking Ridge, NJ (Registered Nurse in neonatal intensive care)
- David Quigley, MTS IV, King of Prussia, PA (Volunteer EMT)
- Anthony Stump, Field Assurance Engineer IV, Morristown, TN (Advanced EMT)
- Daniel Unkel, Solutions Manager, Boston, MA (Firefighter, EMT)
- John Stansfield, Central Office Technician, Baltimore, MD (Senior Firefighter, EMT)
Verizon Media Group Real Talk
Tune in for a live discussion today at 3 PM ET/12 PM PT with Eric Adams, Brooklyn Borough President, New York City, and Michael Mata, Dallas Police Association President, to hear unique perspectives on policing, protesting and social justice.
For Adams, the first African-American to hold his position, his understanding of police violence and racism includes the experience of being a victim of police beatings, but chose to become a police officer. Dallas Police Sergeant Mata, who has been in the force for 20+ years, will offer insights into policing in our country and communities. Mike Mason, Verizon Chief Security Officer, Marine veteran and former FBI Executive Assistant Director, will join Ram Jean-Louis, Verizon Media Group diversity leader, for this important conversation.
Are you Up To Speed?
You might have to go back and watch Andy’s trip to Kansas City (and that’s ok!) but let us know how we’re paying it forward in KCMO for your chance to win some swag. A winner will be announced next week.
If you have any questions, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for a transcript of the webcast.
Reminder, tune in to Up To Speed Live tomorrow at 12 PM ET/9 AM PT.