Knowing what to do and blocking spam texts is one of the best ways to prevent future spam texts and keep your information secure. We’ll be discussing general spam handling and text blocking on iPhones and blocking spam texts on Android phones. And of course, the resources Verizon has for you to block spam texts.
General tips to block spam texts
- Don’t respond to unwanted/suspicious texts. (Not even to say STOP).
- Report spammers to Verizon.
- Filter potential spam texts with tools like Call Filter.
- Block specific spammers in your My Verizon account.
Blocking spam texts on iPhones
- First, open Settings.
- Scroll down until you find Messages. Tap it.
- Next, scroll down until you find "Filter Unknown Messages." Turn it on.
- You’re done.
- iOS users can also block persistent senders by using the "Block this Caller" function by pressing on the sending address at the top of the message and then “info” icon. The option to “Block this Caller” is located at the bottom.
Note: After following the above steps, when you go into your messages app, you'll see two tabs at the top of the screen. On the left there’s the "Contacts & SMS" tab. This tab will contain messages from contacts in your address book -- your known contacts. On the right you’ll see the new "Unknown Senders" tab. Now, if you receive a message from a sender who’s not in your address book, you won't get a notification. Instead, it will be dropped into this tab.
Blocking spam Texts on Android phones
- Go to the Messaging app and tap the three dots icon in the upper right-hand of the screen.
- Tap on “Settings,” and then tap on “Spam Protection.”
- Scroll down until you find “Enable Spam Protection.”
- Turn it on by swiping the button to the right.
- You’re done.
Note: On an Android phone, you will find several spam text blocking options including unknown callers, recent calls, or from your contact list. You can choose or manually enter a number you wish to block.
Verizon’s resources and services for blocking spam texts. Verizon is committed to your privacy and safety. To that end, we have several resources to help you block spam texts, as well as phishing emails and robocalls. Some useful links are provided below.