In times like these, we look to our Purpose.
Hans shares his thoughts on yesterday’s events at the Capitol.
Our editorial transparency tool uses blockchain technology to permanently log all changes made to official releases after publication. However, this post is not an official release and therefore not tracked. Visit our learn more for more information.
On today’s special edition of Up To Speed Live, Andy Choi and Hans Vestberg shared the following updates:
Reaction to yesterday’s events at the U.S. Capitol
As the disturbing news unfolded yesterday from Washington D.C., Hans sent a letter to all V Teamers. He also addressed the events today on Up To Speed Live, where he made the following points:
- The safety and health of our employees is our number one priority. That’s why we closed stores prior to yesterday’s events. They have now reopened.
- While we support the right for peaceful protests, we condemn the senseless violence and rioting that occurred.
- Respecting diverse perspectives and experiences is core to our values as a company and community.
- Our Purpose is who we are and drives everything we do, moving the world forward together as one team. This will bring us success as individuals and as a company.
5G Home news
Hans emphasized that we are continuing the digital transformation of new and existing customers by expanding access to 5G and the latest tech and experiences.
- Starting January 14, customers in Arlington, TX, Miami; Anaheim, CA, Phoenix, San Francisco and St. Louis will have access to Verizon 5G Home Internet.
- Later this month, customers in Colorado Springs, CO, Columbia, SC, and Knoxville, TN, will have access to Verizon's 5G Ultra Wideband.
Also this week, we announced Fios Forward, which makes reliable high-speed internet with no data caps more affordable for customers who qualify for financial assistance. The program enables individuals and communities to stay connected for at-home learning and remote work, building on our commitment to creating a digitally inclusive and equitable society.
Hans didn’t want to spoil the surprise of what he’ll be sharing next week as the opening keynote speaker at the virtual Consumer Electronics Show (CES), but he did say that it will involve 5G and some of our exciting partners in that area.
MLK Jr. Day
Monday, January 18, marks Martin Luther King Jr. Day, a national day of service in the U.S. On Monday’s episode of Up To Speed Live at 12 PM ET/9 AM PT, Christy will highlight some of the volunteer opportunities that are available in our volunteer portal. She’ll also give a sneak peek of how we’ll be commemorating the holiday as a V Team throughout next week.
Help if you need it
If you’re struggling with emotions related to the events of this week or anything else, remember that you’re always welcome to reach out to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for support.
Hans reiterated that our Purpose has been crafted with intention to consider all four stakeholders — employees, customers, shareholders and society. If we can continue to move all four of those forward, he affirmed, we’ll have a long-term positive impact on our customers, our company and the world at large.
If you have any questions, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for a transcript of the webcast.