Area Code Overlay
An overlay is the addition of another area code to the same geographic area as an existing area code. New area codes are added to the existing area to ensure a continuing supply of phone numbers. An overlay means that more than one area code will now serve the same geographic area. You won't have to change your existing area code or phone number. If there has been an overlay in your area, all calls must be dialed using the area code + telephone number, including calls within the same area code. If you do not use the new dialing procedure, your call will not be completed, and a recording will instruct you to hang up and dial again.
Area Code Lookup
With Verizon's area code lookup you can:
- Find the major locations in a certain area code by entering the area code
- Find the area codes that are used in a certain state by entering the state name
Please select from the options below. Calling and local time information by area code or state:
|Please enter an area code||or select a state|
Making international calls
To call direct to other foreign countries, dial:
011 + the country code + the city code + the local number
Preparing for area code change
If your area code is changing:
- Reprogram your automatic dialing equipment (including fax machines, modems, Internet dial up number and speed dialers) with the new area code for outgoing calls
- Update business cards, checks, contracts and legal documents to the new area code
- Update your Call Forwarding
- Update your Voicemail or messaging systems
- Notify family, friends, and business associates of the change in your area code
If your area code is not changing, but you call friends or businesses where the change is taking place:
- Dial the correct area code when calling numbers where the area code has changed
- Reprogram any automatic dialing equipment you have that places calls to friends and businesses where the area code has changed
Home security systems preparation for new area codes
If a new area code is coming to the service area of your home security system company, call to see if your system needs to be modified.
Get the answers to these questions:
- Does my security system dial a preprogrammed telephone number to the security company, in case of an emergency?
- If so, does that preprogrammed number include an area code?
- What must be done to preprogram that number with the new area code?
- Has your programmable equipment been checked to accommodate the area code dialing changes?