Nick LaVecchia is a professional photographer in York, Maine, and creator of the Instagram series #morningcoffee. LaVecchia takes a DSLR approach to smartphone photography. He adjusts the settings on his smartphone camera app and keeps filters and post-processing tricks to a minimum.
Photo tips: Sunrise
Shot with a Samsung Galaxy phone.
- Use a sunrise app such as LunaSolCal Mobile and be ready to shoot 30 minutes before dawn.
- Crouch low or climb out on some rocks to find the best perspective and good light.
- Use natural elements to frame an engaging composition.
- In the camera app, tap the settings icon.
- Turn off Image Stabilization to customize camera settings.
- Tap the exposure icon and drop exposure down a few notches to boost hues and blacken silhouettes.
Learn more about Nick LaVecchia’s #morningcoffee Instagram series.