eSATA Storage Devices
An eSATA device is an external hard drive that plugs into a DVR or computer to increase the overall storage capacity of that device. eSATA stands for External Serial Advanced Technology Attachment and refers to the connection on the end of the cable that plugs from the eSATA drive to the DVR or computer.
Most external hard drives use a USB connection to increase capacity on personal computers. However, USB connected drives are not compatible with Fios DVRs.
You can plug an eSATA device into your Fios TV DVR to expand capacity provided the DVR is compatible with eSATA.
Which Verizon Fios TV DVRs are compatible with eSATA devices?
The following Fios TV DVRs are compatible with eSATA devices:
- Motorola QIP 7216
- Motorola QIP 7232
- Cisco CHS 435 HDC
Note: Fios TV One (VMS4100/IPC4100) and VMS1100/IPC1100 are not compatible with eSATA devices.
Verizon recommends the eSATA hard drives below for use with Fios DVR. Customers choosing to install other drive types will assume the risk of compatibility with Fios DVR and Verizon will not assist with compatibility or performance issues should they arise.
- Western Digital – WDBACS5000EBK-NEVZ – 500GB
- Western Digital – WDBACS0010HBK-NEVZ – 1TB
- Western Digital Retail – WDBABT0010HBK-NESN – 1TB
When you remove your eSATA device from a connected DVR and attempt to plug it into a computer or another DVR, the drive is not recognized and will likely prompt you to reformat the drive, whereby all recorded content will be lost.
You can disconnect the eSATA device from the DVR and reconnect to the same DVR without reformatting or losing data. The DVR encrypts data onto the eSATA drive and that data can only be viewed from the original DVR device.
- Press either the Menu or DVR button on your remote control
- If you press Menu, select DVR and then select Recorder Status
- If you press DVR, select Recorder Status
- Your DVR hard drive is designated as the Local Drive and your eSATA device plugged into your DVR is designated as the External Drive
- Use the Left and Right arrow buttons on your remote control to switch between each drive to check updated usage and capacity information
Visit our Customer Learning Portal for even more training and resources related to Verizon Business products, systems and tools.