Verizon is Airspace Ready
We are committed. We will always keep the NAS operating because the safety of the aviation community depends on it.
We are a trusted and experienced FAA partner. We help deliver reliable, secure and survivable communications with flexible integration services.
We are a risk averse critical network integration team. We will focus on preventing outages and proactively planning for unforeseen outcomes.
We are technology experts. We will partner with the FAA as aviation experts to help continuously modernize the NAS. Our service is cost effective, secure, and provides the redundancy in the network to ensure minimal service disruption.
Industry Leading Telecommunications Portfolio
Verizon has the expertise and industry leading experience in all of the technologies the FAA needs — now and for the long term.
- 2022 Data Breach Investigations Report: Public Sector snapshot (DBIR) - 15 years of forensic investigations
- 2022 Mobile Security Index Public Sector spotlight (MSI)
- 9 security operations centers globally
What is Airspace Ready?
The FAA needs a partner with extensive experience transitioning, transforming and managing critical network infrastructure while at the same time mitigating risks and responding to and resolving unforeseen events. We build, integrate and optimize networks that can enable resilient flight operations.
- We know the NAS is a complex business model and the aviation user community needs to have a safe, reliable network that delivers on that mission
- We build, manage and operate safety-critical networks every day
- We have in depth experience as a managed critical network integrator who has performed over 5000 managed network services transitions
- We understand the commitment and responsibility of serving our public sector customers and are known for our preparation and support during emergencies
- We’re America’s #1 network for Public Safety
- We have numerous public sector customers that trust Verizon to manage their mission-critical networks
With the public sector, we have experience operating and managing networks under substantial cost constraints, employing new and innovative ways to optimize costs while maintaining operational excellence. We deliver reliable and survivable telecommunications by optimizing resiliency and availability. And when things go wrong, we don’t wait to be called; Verizon runs to the emergency and gets things up and running.
Security needs to be designed into the core architecture of the FAA Enterprise Network Services (FENS) program, not added on as an afterthought. It needs to be the foundation that ALL services and systems are built on (including the back office) in order for the FAA to retain continuity of operations. Verizon brings industry-leading network security capabilities, expertise and experience in security, including:
Insight into a considerable amount of the world’s IP traffic
security events processed / year to improve our threat library
security operations centers around the globe
World-class, global threat intelligence center
years publishing the Data Breach Investigations Report (DBIR)
confirmed data breaches analyzed by our RISK team
One of the world’s largest teams of PCI Qualified Security Assessors
years of industry experience
years of forensic investigations and security incident data
Global IP network across 6 continents
- Security is at the core of everything we do and central to our business
- We build in network security from the very foundation of the communications infrastructure
- Our network is the difference between Verizon and the other security providers
- This gives us perspectives into the sources and nature of the attack so that we can investigate it, contain it and deal with it decisively.
- And intelligence from the network gives us better insights into emerging threats, allowing us to help our customers prepare for what’s coming
It is top of mind for our employees and is continuously evolving to stay ahead of the threats and bad actors
- 2022 Mobile Security Index Public Sector spotlight (MSI)
- 2022 Data Breach Investigations Report: Public Sector snapshot (DBIR)
- Insider Threat Report
Article: Securing citizens while modernizing
Factsheet: MSS Analytics Fact Sheet
Use Case: Managed SIEM Customer Use Case
Snapshot: 2022 DBIR Public Sector Snapshot
When things go wrong, we don’t wait to be called; Verizon runs to the emergency to get communications systems up and running. We’re proud of our decades-long commitment to supporting federal, state and local public safety agencies with 24/7/365 response operations, as well as providing the nation’s most reliable network and redundancy and backup systems.
Reliable communications are key:
Ninety-eight percent of Verizon sites stayed operational during Hurricane Harvey
We've invested $145B in network infrastructure since 2000 and billions more each year to expand and improve our network
#1 overall in the U.S. 11 times in a row and undefeated in overall reliability, speed, data, call and text, according to RootMetrics national rankings.1
You're ready, and so are we.
- The Verizon Response Team (VRT) works hand in hand with local emergency officials and is available 24/7/365 to help you stay connected.
- We strategically place network assets like Cells on Wheels (COWs), Cells on Light Trucks (COLTs) and other equipment to enhance coverage when natural disasters impair connectivity.
- Backup generators, HVAC and fiber rings at cell sites and switching centers keep the network running for you when commercial power is lost.
- We built our network structures in hurricane-prone areas to withstand Category 5 winds.
- We prearrange fuel deliveries with tankers poised and in position to quickly respond to hard-hit areas if commercial power is lost.
- We locate cell sites and switch facility HVAC systems on elevated platforms in flood-prone areas.
When hurricanes hit, Verizon is ready.
Be it Irma or Sandy, in Texas or Puerto Rico, when hurricanes wreak havoc , Verizon is on the ground—working around the clock to repair and restore your internet and phone services, and much more.
FAA's network will continue to evolve and change. Verizon's industry leadership in network technology is the right partner to assist FAA with achieving that goal.
Infographic: Verizon Response Ready solutions
Supporting mission-critical weather tracking.
Verizon partners with the National Weather Services (NWS), providing alerts to protect life and property. Technology will continue to change, but we know how to transition safely and securely. In addition, Verizon provides critical network access during storms and emergencies to enable weather and response organizations. With Verizon’s help, NWS is able to access real-time data and information to provide timely, accurate weather tracking to government organizations and citizens.
The FAA needs a partner that knows how to continuously transition and transform critical infrastructure with minimal disruption; economically, efficiently and without leaving stakeholders behind.
Going digital means transforming the entire organization
The FAA is at a critical point of transforming the ATM systems to NextGen. The communications network is the “central nervous system” of this digital transformation.
How do you get there? Begin with the end in mind. A low risk transition is the key to success.
- Identify the challenges and define the outcomes
- Create and champion the right roadmap to deliver those outcomes
- Start at the core to re-architect your infrastructure.
- Integrate solutions at every layer in the right sequence
- Commit to the long-term vision.
The FAA operates a complex and purpose-built environment and needs a partner that understands the environment
As one of the largest providers of IT Services to the Federal Government (Top 20 in the latest Washington Technology 2019 report), we are continuously helping our customers migrate to new technologies securely, cost effectively and with minimal disruption
We utilize a disciplined programmatic approach based upon proven tools and techniques that have evolved based upon countless real-world experiences
We can help the FAA transform the NAS in ways never before imagined. Verizon is developing a roadmap to the future of enterprise networking.
- Verizon is a technology leader - we don’t just deploy new technologies, we help drive the standards
- We are continuously innovating whether it is our network, our services, our tools or our platforms
- We work closely with our customers through our labs, our customer councils, our surveys and our program offices to understand and anticipate their needs and build them into our solutions
- We know every customer is different and design our solutions so that they can be customized for their unique environment
- The FAA cannot continuously evolve without the support of the company leading network technology evolution
- Verizon takes the burden and cost of lifecycle support
- Verizon will assist the FAA with gaining the insights necessary to meet the demands of new user communities in the skies (e.g., drones,, commercial space, flying cars, high altitude balloons, etc.)
- The FAA operates a complex and purpose-built environment and needs a partner that understands the environment
- Technology is always changing, but we know you want to transform safely and securely
- As the largest provider of IT Services to the Federal Government (Top 20 in the latest Washington Technology 2019 report), we are continuously helping our customers migrate to new technologies economically, securely, cost effectively and without disruption
- We utilize a disciplined programmatic approach based upon proven tools and techniques that have evolved based upon countless real-world experiences
Managed Services use case with JetBlue
One mission. One team.
We know the aviation community is committed to the safety, efficiency and security of the National Airspace System (NAS). As the direction of the industry changes, you need to leverage new capabilities to ensure the safety of the flying public remains the priority. And Team Verizon can help:
Our partners bring proven skills to the FAA team.
- Aviation expertise
- Mission critical network integration
- Transition Management
- Transparent and secure operations
- Advanced global network
- Risk management
- Continuous modernization
- Shared governance
- Cost optimization
- Program Management
We know your business.
We have been serving the FAA for
over 25 years.
We are a partner on the current communications contract as well as a preferred provider for FAA's cellular communications needs.
We were the original managed service provider of FAA LINCS (Leased Inter-facility National Airspace Communications System), precursor to the current network (FTI - FAA Telecommunications Infrastructure).
We were the first FAA approved provider of LAANC (Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability) allowing UAS (unmanned aircraft systems) to safely operate in the NAS.
Through our Skyward subsidiary, we participate on FAA’s Drone Advisory Board.
Verizon's Credo supports the FAA mission.
We are committed to always keeping the National Air Space operating; the safety of the flying community depends on it.
We will deliver reliable, secure, and survivable communications and flexible integration services as a trusted partner of the FAA.
As a risk averse Managed Critical Network Integrator, we will focus on preventing outages and planning for unforeseen outcomes.
As a technology leader, we will partner with the FAA to help modernize the NAS, cost effectively, and while minimizing disruption.
1 Based on RootMetrics® by IHS Markit’s RootScore® Reports 2H 2019 of four mobile networks. Results may vary. Not an endorsement.
Per advertising: Gartner, Magic Quadrant for Network Services, Global, 02 March 2021, Neil Rickard | Bjarne Munch | Danellie Young
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s Research & Advisory organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Manage your account or get tools and information.