20 years after the 9/11 attacks:
Putting lessons learned into practice
Former D.C. Police Chief Charles Ramsey and former Arlington County, VA, Fire Chief Ed Plaugher, both members of the Verizon First Responder Advisory Council, share how to put lessons learned into practice in a podcast with WTOP News.
Listen to the podcast
Meet the Council
We invite public safety agencies across the nation to take advantage of the expertise and guidance of the Verizon First Responder Advisory Council through events, webinars, meetings and conversations.
Chair William J. Bratton
- Chair, Homeland Security Advisory Council
- Executive Chairman, Teneo Risk
- Former Police Commissioner, New York Police Department (NYPD) and Boston Police Department (BPD)
- Former Chief, Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD)
- Victim Assistance Coordinator, Diocese of Venice
- Former Sheriff of Highlands County, Florida
- Past President Florida Sheriffs Association
- Former Lieutenant of Criminal Investigations
- Victim Assistance Coordinator, Diocese of Venice
- Senior Vice President, Teneo Risk
- Former Lieutenant Commander, New York Police Department (NYPD)
- Senior Managing Director of Consulting and Lobbying Groups, Pitta Bishop & Del Giorno
- Former Fire Commissioner, Fire Department of New York (FDNY)
- Tampa Chief of Police (Retired)
- Member, International Association of Chiefs of Police, Police Executive Research Forum, and Board of Directors of the Tampa Police Foundation
- Former Security Representative, National Hockey League
Jerome M. “Jerry” Hauer
- Senior Advisor, Teneo Risk
- Former Commissioner, New York State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services
- Former Commissioner, New York City Office of Emergency Management
- Former Acting Assistant Secretary, Office of Public Health Emergency Preparedness, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Sandy Jo MacArthur
- First Responder Training and Education Consultant
- Former Assistant Chief, Office of Administrative Services, Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD)
- Former Captain, Civil Rights Integrity Division, LAPD
Kenneth L. Morckel
- Vice President, Public Sector Business Development, The Digital Decision (TDD)
- Former Director of Public Safety, State of Ohio
- Former Superintendent/Colonel, Ohio State Highway Patrol (OSHP)
- Principal, 10-8 Communications
- Former Assistant Commissioner, New York Police Department (NYPD)
- Former Chief of Staff, Baltimore, MD, and Milwaukee, WI, Police Departments
- Former Communications Lead, City of Irvine, CA, Atlanta, and Savannah, GA, Police Departments
Edward P. Plaugher
- Member, Charity Rebuilding NOMADS
- Former Fire Chief, Arlington County, VA
- Former Deputy Fire Chief, Fairfax County, VA
- Former Assistant Executive Director, International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC)
Brett C. Railey
- Senior Public Safety Consultant, The Digital Decision
- Former Chief of Police, City of Winter Park, FL
- Former President, Florida Police Chiefs Association (FPCA)
Charles H. Ramsey
- Public Safety Advisor, U.S. Conference of Mayors
- Former Commissioner, Philadelphia Police Department
- Former Chief, Metropolitan (Washington, DC) Police Department
Ellis M. Stanley Sr.
- Managing Partner, Ellis Stanley Partners
- Chair, Global Board of Directors, International Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM)
- Former Director, Atlanta-Fulton County Emergency Management Agency
- Former General Manager, Emergency Preparedness Department, City of Los Angeles
Karen P. Tandy
- Vice Chair, Homeland Security Advisory Council and Commission on Combating Synthetic Opioid Trafficking
- Chairwoman, Board of Directors, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
- Former Administrator, U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration
- Former U.S. Associate Deputy Attorney General
- Former Chairwoman, Board of Directors, National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund
Preparedness, Public Safety and the Big Game
Verizon Frontline, the advanced network and technology for first responders, is kicking off the first webinar of our 2022 Public Sector series. During this webinar, we will examine the importance of preparedness, reliable connections, security, resources mobilization and other critical elements that go into successfully and safely executing a large-scale event.
Verizon Frontline Presents: Preparedness, Public Safety and the Big Game
Held on January 26, 2022
Verizon Frontline Emergency Series
Join us for our two-part webinar series focused on Verizon Frontline, designed to give public safety organizations, agencies and communities the network and solutions they need to prepare for and respond to uncertainty.
In the first webinar, our experts will discuss specific emergency-response use cases and preparedness models, and will provide insights on how you can adapt them to fit your own plans and needs.
Part two of the series focuses on how public safety organizations, agencies and communities use Verizon Frontline Emergency Services to communicate and protect citizens in the face of unexpected events. Preparation is key, and the first critical step in a full Emergency Response plan. But along with that comes the ability to recover. Unexpected difficulties and challenges will undoubtedly occur, but the key is having the ability to recover in a real way and also having the ability to systematically improve through experience. Our experts will explore every aspect of response and recovery, and how key learnings can help improve overall preparedness, as well as processes.
Part 1: Emergency Response Preparedness
Held on September 23, 2021On Demand
Host & guests speakers.
Director, Verizon Response and Public Safety Operations
Cory has over 16 years of advanced wireless technology and public safety leadership experience. Currently, he serves as the national Director for Verizon Response and Public Safety Operations at Verizon. His team is partnering with public safety and public sector agencies nationwide to help them stay connected, innovate, plan for the future, mitigate pain points, and prepare for times of crisis, events, and emergencies across the United States.
Dr. Jerome Hauer
Senior Advisor, Teneo; Former Acting Assistant Secretary, Office of Public Health Emergency Preparedness, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Dr. Jerome Hauer is a leading expert in emergency response, emergency management and crisis planning. His background includes years of experience serving in state and federal government agencies and departments tasked to prepare for and respond to biological, chemical and nuclear terrorism acts, as well as other man-made and natural disasters.
Managing Partner, Ellis Stanley Partners; Former General Manager of City of Los Angeles Emergency Management Agency
Ellis M. Stanley Sr. is one of the country’s foremost leaders in emergency management, homeland security and major event planning, with over 45 years of experience. Stanley's career includes leadership posts for numerous state and local government agencies and spearheading planning for several large-scale events, such as the 2008 Democratic National Convention and the 1984 and 1996 Summer Olympics.
5G Innovation Session: Supporting Public Safety on the frontline
Guest appearance from Jerome Hauer
Held on June 10, 2021
Public Safety agencies are looking for ways to become more agile with 5G to better support First Responders and their communities. During this hour-long event, Verizon will explain why 5G matters to First Responders today and in the future.
Hear former commissioner and council member Jerome "Jerry" Hauer speak during the "How Verizon Frontline and 5G can transform public safety for communities" segment.On Demand
Live from Lake Nona series appearanceOn Demand
Hear Dr. Jerome "Jerry" Hauer speak at the first Verizon: Lake Nona event series.
Held on May 12, 2021
Session: First Response: Technology in Public Safety
Response Ready with Verizon Mission Critical Push-to-Talk SolutionsOn Demand
Learn how Mission Critical Push-to-Talk supports reliable, secure and interoperable operations.
Held on February 10, 2021
Arsh Sawhney, Verizon
Edward P. Plaugher, Public Safety Veteran
Brent Bonner, Motorola
Verizon Public Safety Super Bowl LV Virtual ExperienceOn Demand
Take an inside look into how Verizon’s end-to-end public safety solutions and services will assist the City of Tampa and its first responders prepare for the Big Game while helping to keep everyone connected and safe.
Held on February 4, 2021
Andrés Irlando, SVP & President, Public Sector at Verizon
Bill Bratton, NYPD Commissioner and LAPD Chief
Other special guests
Virtual Town Hall: Public Safety in 2020On Demand
A conversation with top public safety experts.
The year 2020 was a transformative year for all facets of life, but nowhere have things changed more radically and significantly than in public safety. Council Chair and former NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton, one of the world’s most respected experts on public safety, leads the discussion.
Held on August 18, 2020
View On Demand
Annual NLEOMF Candlelight Vigil
Even in difficult times, the fallen will not be forgotten. Join us in solidarity with the surviving families and agencies of our heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice.