Slightly larger than a credit card, a CableCARD plugs into the back of your digital cable-ready (DCR) devices (i.e., TV or DVR) to provide access to the high definition (HD) and standard definition (SD) digital programs included with your FIos TV subscription without the need for a Set-Top Box. Private Viewing customers can order Pay-Per-View events by calling 1.800.Verizon (1.800.837.4966). However, without a set-top box, you won’t have access to On-Demand programming, the Fios TV interactive media guide or other advanced Fios TV features.
To activate your CableCARD:
- Set up your CableCARD-capable device (i.e., DVR or TV) using the provided instructions
- Confirm that the coax cable from the wall is plugged directly into the back of the CableCARD-capable device’s Cable in jack
- Locate the CableCARD slot on the back of the CableCARD-capable device
- Insert the CableCARD and follow the on-screen instructions
- Write down the CableCARD ID/POD ID, Host ID and Data ID displayed on the CableCARD diagnostics screen
- Activate your equipment with the CableCARD by calling 1.888.897.7499
Once you activate a CableCARD to work with a device, it becomes paired to that device. If you want to use your CableCARD with a different device, you will need to pair it with that device by following the activation steps.
For more details, read our CableCARD user guide.
- Check whether the CableCARD has been removed from the card slot in the TV
- Ensure that the CableCARD is properly plugged into the DCR slot
- If it has been removed or it is not properly plugged in, try to reinsert the CableCARD into the card slot in the TV or DVR
- If the activation screen does not appear within five minutes, contact Verizon (be prepared to provide Verizon the CableCARD ID number located on the back of the card for troubleshooting purposes)
Verizon occasionally launches a maintenance release or network upgrade to enhance and maintain the Fios TV network. Sometimes these upgrades can impact your access to certain channels via a CableCARD connected device.
If you use an MPEG4 compatible TiVo® DVR or other device to access Fios TV, you should not be impacted by upgrades. If you experience channel access issues with a CableCARD connected device, you should first ensure that your device is MPEG4 compatible before contacting Verizon. Please check with your device manufacturer to confirm compatibility with MPEG4 digital video delivery.
If you have questions, you can contact us at 1.800.Verizon (1.800.837.4966) to discuss your equipment options.
When this happens, it means that the content you are trying to copy is protected to prevent or limit copying. FCC regulations for copy protection of digital content allow programmers to determine which content can be copied by end consumers, and how many times.
There are several levels of protection that may have been added to the content:
- Copy never
- Copy once
- No more copies
- Copy freely
You can only copy those programs that do not have copy protection applied, or are identified as copy freely or copy once.
You can watch the following digital programs with your CableCARD:
- All Fios TV Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) digital channels included with your Fios TV subscription
- Private Viewing customers can also order Pay-Per-View events by calling 1.800.Verizon (1.800.837.4966)
Without a Set-top Box, you do not have access to On Demand programming, the Fios TV Interactive Media Guide, or other Fios TV advanced features of the service.
You can add a new Set-Top Box to your existing service by calling 1.800.Verizon (1.800.837.4966)
Note: For other features and functions refer to the device manufacturer.
If the CableCARD activation screen does not display when your television is on try the following top solutions:
- Be sure the TV is on the right input
- Ensure the CableCARD is properly plugged into the DCR slot
- Make sure that your device is labeled as "DCR" by the manufacturer
- Devices that work with a CableCARD must be labeled as "DCR"
- If your device is not labeled "DCR" it is not likely to work with a CableCARD
- If the activation screen does not appear within five minutes, contact us and an agent will assist you
Note: Make sure to write down the CableCARD ID# located on the back of the card so that you will have it available when you contact Verizon. You may have to provide this number for troubleshooting purposes.
If you are moving outside of the Verizon service area and need to return your CableCARD you will need to contact us at 1.800.Verizon (1.800.837.4966).
Visit our Customer Learning Portal for even more training and resources related to Verizon Business products, systems and tools.